Spring-time rituals

argh1

Okay , I will admit , Mr. Moosehead ( insert local brewer ) and me have been getting along well to-day.

But , does any-body remember playing marbles ( we used to call them allies ) we used to play for , the big ones " DOUGH BOYS " small ones " CATS EYES " kick , snap the thumb , push , to the hole in the ground . first one in wins all the "allies " on the ground .

Alright, took the dog for a walk , saw kids playing marbles , did the memory lane thing .

So, what's your spring time ritual memory ?

Ahhh. Moosehead. Alas switched to Sleeman Premium Light from my beloved Mooshead when the bluejeans began to get a weeee bit snug.

Must be an Ontario thing. We used to just call it marbles but the Wee Elf, a refugee from Sudbury and her bunch called it(and still do) alleys as well. We played marbles a little bit when we were like 9 or something. Not long. Wasn't rough enough I guess. Little One dosen't. Likes to collect the unique ones, but dosen't actualy shoot marbles or anything.

Here's a spring ritual for you in the 9-12 year old range which I think is what we're refering to here. Collecting empty beer bottles out of the ditchs. True. A winters worth of emptys was quite a find when you grow up in a trailor park and $6 could go a long way.

****, a pack of smokes was $1.25

Come to think of it, spring brought about a lot of scavaging. Before the grass got to growing we'd root about behind the south end of our hockey rink. There was a field there and quite a few hockey pucks went through or over the chain link to spend the rest of the winter hibernating in the deeper snow. A good puck was worth it's weight in gold by febuary.

Real treasure trove a winters worth of rubbish about the hockey rink. If you could find some good lengths of broken hockey sticks you could sharpen them up and cut them into stumps for cricket.

There was another chore come spring. Trying to find the cricket bats. Oy.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Ahhh. Moosehead. Alas switched to Sleeman Premium Light from my beloved Mooshead when the bluejeans began to get a weeee bit snug.

Must be an Ontario thing. We used to just call it marbles but the Wee Elf, a refugee from Sudbury and her bunch called it(and still do) alleys as well. We played marbles a little bit when we were like 9 or something. Not long. Wasn't rough enough I guess. Little One dosen't. Likes to collect the unique ones, but dosen't actualy shoot marbles or anything.

Here's a spring ritual for you in the 9-12 year old range which I think is what we're refering to here. Collecting empty beer bottles out of the ditchs. True. A winters worth of emptys was quite a find when you grow up in a trailor park and $6 could go a long way.

****, a pack of smokes was $1.25

Come to think of it, spring brought about a lot of scavaging. Before the grass got to growing we'd root about behind the south end of our hockey rink. There was a field there and quite a few hockey pucks went through or over the chain link to spend the rest of the winter hibernating in the deeper snow. A good puck was worth it's weight in gold by febuary.

Real treasure trove a winters worth of rubbish about the hockey rink. If you could find some good lengths of broken hockey sticks you could sharpen them up and cut them into stumps for cricket.

There was another chore come spring. Trying to find the cricket bats. Oy.

A pack of fags , I must be older than you $0.39 for a 20 pack and $0.49 for a 25 .

Collecting money .......wadding in the ponds of the local golf course to recover golf balls to sell to the pro shop for shagging balls @ $1.00 / 100

And then getting to the caddy bullpen by 4 AM , so some rich guy would give you $ 5.00 / round . On a good day in the mid- summer you'd get out 3 times for $15.00 plus tip in one day. 'Course you'd lose it all the next day playing poker or mostly crib in the bullpen. But oh well ;)

Archived