New FIFA rules on eligibilty

Brian

Hello all new guy here. I enjoy reading about the posts on this board and find all of you very knowledgable on soccer. I have a question to start off. Has anyone heard of the new rules on a player being eligible to represent a country? I don't know if it passed yet, but it essentially allows a player to represent a country if he/she has played there for 2 years and has not represented another country before. You don't even have to have citizenship to play for that country it is more like a residency rule. Does anyone think that it is going to pass or will it get dropped. I know they now allow a player to switch countries if he/she hasn't represent that country past the age of 21, but will they also waive the bloodline rule?

quote:Originally posted by Brian

Hello all new guy here. I enjoy reading about the posts on this board and find all of you very knowledgable on soccer. I have a question to start off. Has anyone heard of the new rules on a player being eligible to represent a country? I don't know if it passed yet, but it essentially allows a player to represent a country if he/she has played there for 2 years and has not represented another country before. You don't even have to have citizenship to play for that country it is more like a residency rule. Does anyone think that it is going to pass or will it get dropped. I know they now allow a player to switch countries if he/she hasn't represent that country past the age of 21, but will they also waive the bloodline rule?

Thats not my understanding regarding the changes. Do you have text on these changes to paste here? I was just aware of the change pertaining to the fact that players who were capped on youth sides could, under certain circumstances, be capped as senior players for a different country. I don't now about the part regarding the residency requirements versus citizenship. While the relaxing of the rules hurts a country like Canada IMO, I have to acknowledge that the changes as I understand them are much more fair for all the players. You just cant tell players that they can't play for X country even though they have strong ties with X country just because they once suited up for country Y ten years ago when they were 16. These decisions should be made by adults and you shouldn't be held back or punished just because of the decsions you made when you were 16.

Archived