Euro Camp for March

Gian-Luca

Just read Ian Kennett's excellent interview with Frank Yallop in the latest World Football Pages. Some interesting notes to pass on - there's supposed to be a Euro camp in March, followed by friendlies in late March & April. We're closing in on mid-Feb though, so it would be nice to hear an announcement soon.

Yallop indicates that Barbados didn't really get a sniff at goal in the friendly, and that we should have won by 3 or 4 goals easily. He's a bit concerned that our possession game wasn't quite as good as he'd like it, but attributes that partly to unfamiliarity with the players, crappy pitch & players being out of shape. As for the chances not taken, I don't know if I'm reading too much in between the lines but he stated that De Rosario was very impressive in the match, while Carlo was (in a statement not directly quoted) "looked good in training" - make of that what you will.

As for Kappos, I got the impression from the article that he didn't start that match due to jet lag. Yallop wants to see him play with his club team to get a better sense of how he plays with players he is familiar with.

As for that March friendly that Yallop initially hoped to be against the US, there's no sign of anything on bigsoccer to indicate that match is going to happen. The rumour is the Yanks will be playing Poland on the March international date.

One country we might want to play in a friendly is Panama. Not only do we owe them a friendly (for having cancelled one in 2001) but another match to get used to life in Central America can't be all that bad of an idea. And as they just beat our Olympic team.......

Archived