Olympics Final Round released

Guest Ed

From the CONCACAF site:

CONCACAF unveils 2004 Men’s Olympic Final Round Qualifications Fixtures

3.12.03 - CONCACAF unveiled today the completed fixtures for the 2004 Men’s Under-23 Olympic Final Round Qualification scheduled for Guadalajara, Mexico from 2-12 February. The kick off times will be determined in due course.

The tournament will feature two groups of four teams with Canada, Honduras, Panama and USA in Group A at the Estadio 3 de Marzo in Guadalajara, while Group B is composed of Costa Rica, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago and the host Mexico at the Estadio Jalisco.

The eight-team event kicks off the on Monday, 2 February 2004 and will have six consecutive first round doubleheaders (three each in Groups A and B) until Saturday, 7 February.

The top two teams in each group advance to the semifinals on 10 February, with Group A winner taking on Group B Runner-up and Group B winner facing the runner-up from Group A.

The semifinal losers will meet in the third-place game on 12 February, while the two finalists, who will also meet on 12 February, earn CONCACAF’s automatic berths to the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece.

2004 CONCACAF MEN’S OLYMPIC FINAL ROUND QUALIFICATION

Group A

Canada

Honduras

Panama

USA

Group B

Mexico

Trinidad & Tobago

Jamaica

Costa Rica

Schedule

Date - Matches - Venue

Monday, 2 February - Costa Rica vs. Jamaica/Mexico vs. Trinidad & Tobago - Estadio Jalisco

Tuesday, 3 February - Canada vs. Honduras/Panama vs. USA - Estadio 3 de Marzo

Wednesday, 4 February - Costa Rica vs. Trinidad & Tobago/Mexico vs. Jamaica - Estadio Jalisco

Thursday, 5 February - Honduras vs. Panama/Canada vs. USA - Estadio 3 de Marzo

Friday, 6 February - Trinidad & Tobago vs. Jamaica/Mexico vs. Costa Rica -Estadio Jalisco

Saturday, 7 February - Canada vs. Panama/Honduras vs. USA - Estadio 3 de Marzo

Tuesday, 10 February - Semifinals: Group A Winner vs. Group B Runner-up/Group B Winner vs. Group A Runner-up - Estadio Jalisco

Thursday, 12 February - Third-Place Game/Final - Estadio Jalisco

Actually a nice draw for Canada in terms of group mates. The other division looks tougher. Not that Honduras and Panama are pushovers, but I like our chances against then as opposed to Jamiaca and Costa Rica. In a neutral venue, we will have a better chance of a result against the US than we might have against Mexico.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fifa Dates are Feb 17-18, so that is a bit bewildering. Why couldn't they adjust the dates to coincide, since I don't think any of the sides has full men's internationals going on that FIFA date? They need eight days to get to the key matches (semis), meaning a player starting midweek on a FIFA date would be less likely to miss so many club matches. As is they could be affected by as many as three or four.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Actually a nice draw for Canada in terms of group mates. The other division looks tougher. Not that Honduras and Panama are pushovers, but I like our chances against then as opposed to Jamiaca and Costa Rica. In a neutral venue, we will have a better chance of a result against the US than we might have against Mexico.

For the same reason that you've said (we will have a better chance of a result against the US than we might have against Mexico) I think that you are wrong and It would be better for us to be in the other group, concentrate on the second place and be 100% sure to avoid Mexico in the only game (Semi-Final) that will decide if we go or don't go to Athens. Now the chances are extremely high that the decider game for Canada will be a meeting against Mexico in Mexico. Not exactly a good draw for Canada IMO.

quote:Originally posted by Christian B.

For the same reason that you've said (we will have a better chance of a result against the US than we might have against Mexico) I think that you are wrong and It would be better for us to be in the other group, concentrate on the second place and be 100% sure to avoid Mexico in the only game (Semi-Final) that will decide if we go or don't go to Athens. Now the chances are extremely high that the decider game for Canada will be a meeting against Mexico in Mexico. Not exactly a good draw for Canada IMO.

Fair point, although I'd be more worried about getting second place in the other group. I guess we'll just have to beat the Americans then, and enjoy gloating on BigSoccer. But the, Costa Rica won't be easy either.

Archived