Why oh Why

argh1

[}:)]

Please explain ........PLEASE? Why it's more important to have a stadium in Toronto. Than it is to upgrade exsiting stadia in CFL grounds to FIFA standards . Or have smaller stadia in other areas, ATLANTIC , NORTH etc.I'm sure the national team doesn't really have to play in Toronto!! If TORONTO, sank all it's money in SkyDome, so be it

There is a basic need for an east coast open air natural grass stadium. I don't care where it is (Well, yes I do..Ottawa) but Toronto seems like the best bet because that is where it has the best chance of making money. It has Canada's biggest airport in Canada's densest population. I think there are roughly 12-15million people within 6 hours driving distance from Toronto and frankly, thats where the money is.

So that would be my #1 choice. #2 being Halifax because it doesn't get enough hype for being a good city plus its closer to europe than Toronto.

Alex

quote:Originally posted by Alex M

There is a basic need for an east coast open air natural grass stadium. I don't care where it is (Well, yes I do..Ottawa) but Toronto seems like the best bet because that is where it has the best chance of making money. It has Canada's biggest airport in Canada's densest population. I think there are roughly 12-15million people within 6 hours driving distance from Toronto and frankly, thats where the money is.

So that would be my #1 choice. #2 being Halifax because it doesn't get enough hype for being a good city plus its closer to europe than Toronto.

Alex

Add to the fact that Ottawa and Montréal both already have a stadium in the 20,000-30,000 range with Fieldturf.

[?]So, it'd be better to build a stadium in Toronto than it'd be to bring Saint Mary's(Halifax} or any other existing stadia in N.Ontario,or any mid-sized city in Canada up to Fifa playing standards?

Truthfully, I'm really just against a national,governing, sport body supporting new construction in any, one city , province, or region.

I'm sure Toronto needs a new stadium, but does the CSA have to be the salespeople to get it done?

There , I've had my say : I'll leave you real soccer folk alone and go back to the couch [:o)]

(Canada Games Stadium in Saint John is the field for UNBSJ isn't it? I, don't know)

quote:Originally posted by argh1

[?]So, it'd be better to build a stadium in Toronto than it'd be to bring Saint Mary's(Halifax} or any other existing stadia in N.Ontario,or any mid-sized city in Canada up to Fifa playing standards?

Truthfully, I'm really just against a national,governing, sport body supporting new construction in any, one city , province, or region.

I'm sure Toronto needs a new stadium, but does the CSA have to be the salespeople to get it done?

There , I've had my say : I'll leave you real soccer folk alone and go back to the couch [:o)]

(Canada Games Stadium in Saint John is the field for UNBSJ isn't it? I, don't know)

Hey, I'm with you. Build a stadium in Halifax, there's plenty already in Toronto, they just don't have grass. Lets not forget that this proposed stadium in Toronto won't have grass either.

Since Toronto has the biggest airport (I suppose thats supposed to be important) the densist population and the best chance of making money they should have no problem raising the money for their new stadium themselves.

Could someone please explain to me why Halifax over the other larger centers in Canada. I mean, Winnipeg and Calgary are twice as big and have already proven they can draw fans for outdoor events(Pan AM Games, CFL attendances are some of the highest).

That being said, I still think that its a no brainer to put it in T.O. Its the Biggest, it has the most soccer players and fans in the country, plus its the commercial center of the country. I don't think you can make that claim for Digby... er I mean Halifax.

I know everyone from NS beleives it is a footballing hotbed (which I partly agree with), but they don't have the numbers to compete for a national stadium.

The point is , not that a stadium be built in Toronto ? But should a national, sport body ,(CSA) be the ones that hawk it!!Does Hockey Canada or Football Canada or Curling Canada or Figure Skating Canada support new construction in ONE count them ONE city?

We all know Toronto is the .....fill in adjective......! But a national association CAN'T be percieved to be the local ass'n , as they seem to be on the T-0 stadium issue.Hey!! we have stadia in 3 of the 5 regions of Canada now, that can handle FIFA FRIENDLIES , Montreal, Ottawa & Edmonton. So only Atlantic & North are left out ( unless Ottawa ain't in Ontario)Anyway it's not that Toronto doesn't need a new stadium , but WHY IS THE CSA BEHIND IT??( I'm not in Nova Scotia . I'm in New Brunswick) side note: congrats to the Atantic Baptist Universty(BLUE TIDE) , women, for winning the ACAA Championship

quote:Originally posted by Pony

Could someone please explain to me why Halifax over the other larger centers in Canada. I mean, Winnipeg and Calgary are twice as big and have already proven they can draw fans for outdoor events(Pan AM Games, CFL attendances are some of the highest).

That being said, I still think that its a no brainer to put it in T.O. Its the Biggest, it has the most soccer players and fans in the country, plus its the commercial center of the country. I don't think you can make that claim for Digby... er I mean Halifax.

I know everyone from NS beleives it is a footballing hotbed (which I partly agree with), but they don't have the numbers to compete for a national stadium.

All the other cities in Canada have stadiums. Sure some have astroturf and some have field turf but thats their own fault. People keep making a point that the National teams of Europe won't want to travel out west, so why not put the stadium really far east? Then they could think about getting a CFL team as well, which makes building a new stadium a little more worthwhile.

Your points about Toronto being having the most soccer fans in the country and the most players are pointless and have no bearing on anything. Where are all these fans at Lynx games (or at Argonauts games since apparently you think population has something to do with interest in a sport)? Are they all going to become patriotic all of a sudden and start supporting Canada or are they going to not care, because the Canadian team is crap (fans with the Hargreaves syndrome).

The point is , not that a stadium be built in Toronto ? But should a national, sport body ,(CSA) be the ones that hawk it!!Does Hockey Canada or Football Canada or Curling Canada or Figure Skating Canada support new construction in ONE count them ONE city?

We all know Toronto is the .....fill in adjective......! But a national association CAN'T be percieved to be the local ass'n , as they seem to be on the T-0 stadium issue.Hey!! we have stadia in 3 of the 5 regions of Canada now, that can handle FIFA FRIENDLIES , Montreal, Ottawa & Edmonton. So only Atlantic & North are left out ( unless Ottawa ain't in Ontario)Anyway it's not that Toronto doesn't need a new stadium , but WHY IS THE CSA BEHIND IT??( I'm not in Nova Scotia . I'm in New Brunswick)

Maybe in an ideal situation the national association for a sport should not be involved in this way, but I think in the case of soccer in Canada we have little choice. If the CSA does not take charge then who will? No one. (Your examples of other sporting associations in Canada are irrelevant because hockey, curling and figure skating use the plethora of existing arenas. Similarly for football, plus the fact that there aren't international competitions in this sport.)

It's the same thing for professional leagues and clubs. The national associations of other countries do not have to concern themselves very much with this, but in Canada the CSA must play a bigger role because there is no one else to do it.

Another thing to note is that the money spent on the Toronto stadium so far was FIFA's money which was given to the CSA specifically for a Toronto stadium. The CSA was not going to spend their own money to design a stadium in Toronto or in any other city.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

It's the same thing for professional leagues and clubs. The national associations of other countries do not have to concern themselves very much with this, but in Canada the CSA must play a bigger role because there is no one else to do it.

What has the CSA done for Canada's A-League teams other than take credit for their existence? They seem to covet one MLS franchise more than any of the current A-League teams. Where was the CSA when Montreal was in trouble? Vancouver? Calgary this year? It's been private interests in all the A-League cities (no matter how bumbling) that have put themselves on the line for professional soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

What has the CSA done for Canada's A-League teams other than take credit for their existence? They seem to covet one MLS franchise more than any of the current A-League teams. Where was the CSA when Montreal was in trouble? Vancouver? Calgary this year? It's been private interests in all the A-League cities (no matter how bumbling) that have put themselves on the line for professional soccer.

Your questions may be rhetorical, but for the record, I didn't mean to comment on whether the CSA has or hasn't helped our A-League teams in the past. I was just making a general comment that the CSA should be involved with our professional clubs even though in an ideal situation a national association should not have to worry about professional clubs (just like they shouldn't have to worry about building a stadium in any one specific city (unless it was to be a stadium specifically for the national team, like Wembley)).

I wasn't suggesting you were an advocate of the CSA's current or past position on the deveolopment of the professional game, but maybe that was lost in the message. :)

I agree a national association should be nothing more than the sanctioning body for the sport and sponsor of national sides, yet I also agree that in Canada's case the CSA needs to be much more involved in the development of the professional game countrywide. A single MLS franchise in Toronto and a few scattered professionals around the world is no way to supply a national side worthy of such a stadium.

Exaxctly, the CSA has to be involved in devoloping of the the pro game. Maybe it's a question of evolution? Looking at the CPSL and the way CSA enforces rules there ( Ottawa, player transfer etc.)It's probably my age but sometimes they remind me of the way the CAHA used to handle senior hockey in the 60's and 70's, There was always controversy over players and venu sites in Hardy Cup and Alan Cup play!

Back to the question though, did FIFA say here's $$ to design a stadium or did FIFA ask CSA where they'd like involvement .So CSA said we need a stadium in Toronto, 'cause Ottawa , Montreal and Edmonton can't handle all our international fixtures !!

:(Hey , wow! I'm not really against the CSA , just on the stadium issue and I'd like to see it take more of a leading role in devolping the pro game in this country!( and it's real easy to criticize)That's what messageboards are for;)

Anyway according to sportsnet.ca the "potential" rumoured maybe? new owners of the Argos want to build a new stadium at York U. Maybe CSA can back out now, gracefully.

In this country isn't Toronto the city we love to hate[}:)]

Looking at the CPSL and the way CSA enforces rules there ( Ottawa, player transfer etc.)

I don't think the CSA should get involved at such a low level as enforcing league rules. They just don't have the resources to do that. I'm thinking about a higher level of involvement (eg. promotion, general structure, most importantly cooperation between leagues from the across the country (eg. national cup!)).

quote:Back to the question though, did FIFA say here's $$ to design a stadium or did FIFA ask CSA where they'd like involvement .So CSA said we need a stadium in Toronto, 'cause Ottawa , Montreal and Edmonton can't handle all our international fixtures !!
I don't know. I don't think this was ever made explicit. It does make sense that FIFA would want games to be played in Toronto if we ever got a WWC, U20 WC, or whatever.

Archived