Travelling to Sao Paulo..

Canuck Oranje

I have already instructed my contacts down there that at least one game at Sao Paulo Stadium needs to be on my itinerary(apparently in the same district of Sao Paulo as my business associates).

If anyone here as any advice, I would welcome it.

Also does anyone who else plays out of that stadium besides Sao Paulo? is it Corinthians?

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I have already instructed my contacts down there that at least one game at Sao Paulo Stadium needs to be on my itinerary(apparently in the same district of Sao Paulo as my business associates).

If anyone here as any advice, I would welcome it.

Also does anyone who else plays out of that stadium besides Sao Paulo? is it Corinthians?

There are 81 stadiums in Sao Paulo district! Each team pretty much has there own stadium, but there could be a couple of exceptions (I can't think of any though). The team I would recommend seeing, besides Sao Paulo, is Santos! Of course they have Robinho playing for them and his foot-work is amazing - he is SO quick.

For the list of stadiums in Sao Paulo:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/south_america/countries/brazil/sao_paulo.shtml

Hey, Thanks. That's a great website. It is the Estádio Cícero Pompeu de Toledo (Morumbi)Stadium that is near where I will be. I have to check my business activities but I hope to see one game there. Santos is also on the south side so that too is a possibility.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

There are 81 stadiums in Sao Paulo district! Each team pretty much has there own stadium, but there could be a couple of exceptions (I can't think of any though). The team I would recommend seeing, besides Sao Paulo, is Santos! Of course they have Robinho playing for them and his foot-work is amazing - he is SO quick.

For the list of stadiums in Sao Paulo:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/south_america/countries/brazil/sao_paulo.shtml

Corinthians must play at the Morumbi at least for some of their games because they are one of the best supported Sao Paulo teams.

I answer my own question.. Found this excerpt on a website reporting on last year's Brazilian final Santos Vs. Corinthians (http://www.backstick.net/brasil02/final.htm)

"Santos were forced to play their 'home' leg of the final at the 'neutral' Morumbi because of the limited capacity at the Vila Belmiro. But former Brazil coach, Emerson Leão, had been most vocal about his objections to the venue all week as, though the Morumbi is in fact São Paulo's stadium, Corinthians tend to use the ground for all of their big fixtures"

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Hey, Thanks. That's a great website. It is the Estádio Cícero Pompeu de Toledo (Morumbi)Stadium that is near where I will be. I have to check my business activities but I hope to see one game there. Santos is also on the south side so that too is a possibility.

Does Tony Menezes still play in Botafogo? Probably not. I remember he used to play down there but no clue whatever happened to him in his club career ....

Anyway, last week both Santos and Sao Paulo advanced to the "Round of 16" in La Copa Sud Americana so there might be extra mid-week games to see depending when you're down there.

Tony Menezes will be participating in Dec/03 in Espirito Santo, Minas Gerais - South America Beach Soccer - he will be playing for Canada.

He will also be playing something called Tennis Soccer also playing for Canada in Dec. If you have the opportunity to watch a beach soccer game it's an amazing experience.

Becarefull. Brazilian matches are supposed to be very dangerous for spectators. I had a few Brazilian friends who came over to Canada a few years ago. They rarely went to matches for that very reason.

I also believe Vasco DaGamma are in SP, they are another big team worth seeing.

Thanks again for the comments.

I think Vasco is based in Rio. The Three biggest clubs in terms of popularity in Sao Paulo are Corinthians, Palmeiras, and Sao Paulo. Since I will be staying in the Morumbi section of Sao Paulo, it will most likely be Sao Paulo that I see. Apparently their stadium is only a few 2/3 Kms away.

Security is a big problem throughout Sao Paulo. I suspect my Paulistano friends will consider that. I hope..

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Becarefull. Brazilian matches are supposed to be very dangerous for spectators. I had a few Brazilian friends who came over to Canada a few years ago. They rarely went to matches for that very reason.

That's not surprising. However, judging from the way they appear on TV and what you read in the media, Brazilian matches don't seem as bad as Argentinian matches.

From time to time, Corinthians will play some of their matches at the Morumbi, depending on who their opposition is. For a match like Corinthians v Palmeiras, or Corinthians v Vasco, matches will normally be held at the Morumbi.

If you plan on attending a midweek match, bear in mind the 9:00 pm (or later) kick off times! This normally applies if the match is being televised.

By all means, see a match in Brazil. An interesting experience.

Archived