Latham Named WUSA Rookie of the Year

Players In The News

Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Latham Named WUSA Rookie of the Year

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1436

San Diego Spirit forward Christine Latham has been named the WUSA Rookie of the Year, the league announced today. The Rookie of the Year goes to the player judged by WUSA coaches, general managers, players and members of the media to be the best first-year player who has no prior playing experience at the Division I professional level and/or has completed her college or high school eligibility within the last year.

One of four Spirit international players, the Canadian National Team star was a acquired as “discovery player” in 2003 and finished second on the team in scoring with six goals and three assists. She finished 12th in the WUSA in scoring and had the third highest single season goal total in Spirit history.

The top scorer in University of Nebraska history, the powerful striker scored key goals for the Spirit down the stretch, including two in a tie on the road at San Jose and a brilliant volley against Washington at home that was a WUSA “Goal of the Year” finalist, to help San Diego make the playoffs for the first time.

Latham is San Diego’s first “Rookie of the Year” in the short three-year history of the WUSA and thrilled fans the entire season with her aggressive and dynamic style.

Latham had a difficult beginning to her rookie season, with a hectic travel schedule for the Canadian National Team as well as the passing of her father, but showing great character, rebounded strongly to play some of her best soccer when it counted the most. “When we saw her in college, we thought she was capable of making a big impact in the WUSA,” said Spirit head coach Omid Namazi. “She brought a lot of tenacity and energy to the team this year, and every day she worked on improving her game. We are very proud of the way she overcame some adversity and I think there is much more to come from Christine Latham.”

Latham left San Diego on Monday to spend a few days back in Lincoln, Nebraska, before joining the Canadian National Team in their pre-Women’s World Cup preparations. She is expected to be a key player for the Maple Leafs in what will be their strongest team ever at a Women’s World Cup.

“It’s a great honor, especially when it is selected by your peers,” said the 21-year-old Latham, who hails from Calgary, Alberta, and has played 26 times for Canada, scoring six goals. “I definitely think I could have played better and more consistently, and finished some more chances, but it was a great learning experience and a season to build on.”

Archived