MSA Cup Semi's Scheduled.

Cheeta

Schedule has finaly been set for the Aug. 17 MSA Cup semi-final matchs. Just to be sure to note that origionaly planned for Red River College the matchs have been rescheduled for play at Vince Leah.

Sons of Italy Lions vs Hellas 2:00 pm kickoff

Maples Juventus vs Sokol 5:00 pm kickoff

Everyone well notice a nice hour for a chance to nip off for a quick drinky to cool off between matchs. The Kildonan is just a stone throw away but maybe The Green Briar is more your taste. Coat and tie are not accepted (never mind required) at either of these establishments.

Expect everyone is calling for a Lions-Sokol final but sunday may be a chance for an upset. Maples' last league match against Sokol was a closer encounter than the Red Shirts would have liked allthough Sokol's star striker Nolly Sanchez should be healthy this time around and many of Sokol's starters were rested this week during league play. Should be fresh legs all around on Sokol's side to help deal with some of those speedy and tireless Maples' runners.

Hellas and Lions by style match up very well and should be the more entertaining of the semi's if Hellas are on their game. Last league game between the sides produced a very, very, good match where the Lions took the points but certainly not the game.

To add a little extra drama to the forth coming semi Sons of Italy Lions played arch rivals Lucania wednesday evening and saw their undefeated 2003 league campain end in a 2-1 defeat. It was tough going against the wind for the Lions as they surrendered 2 first half goals, crackers both of them, and then lost Tevin Olivier-Job to an out and out red for calling the ref. some sort of "dink" or another. Tevin and Lucania's Marello Paolluci had been jawing pretty good all match and apparently the scoreline frustration had gotten to the Lion as had the very tight calling of the match by the ref. Tony Nocita made an irregular appearance for the Lions and netted their only goal on a twenty yard free kick right footed around the Lucania wall. Well placed and hard hit, but very saveable. Full points for placement and good work by the onrushing Lions attackers who distracted the Lucania 'keeper into hesitation.

Lucania with the man advantage dealt much better against the wind than had the Lions. On another night the Lucania attack might have produced three more goals from the dead sitters that they missed during the 2nd half wednesday evening but that's football for you.

Man of the match Lucania's Marcello Paolucci. Honerable mention Lucania's Damian Rocke.

"Minority of one"

Just to add a wee bit more to the above. If anyone missed Gordon's post below Saskatchewan has determined their rep. to this years National Championship, Saskatoon Arsenal. Martyr reports Surrey United well be representing BC and more clubs well quickly follow I'm sure.

"Minority of one"

Just a reminder and a warning to all thinking of taking in the MSA Cup matchs this afternoon at Vince Leah. Kickoffs are as scheduled but the weather is looking wicked. After a string of about a month where it seemed some amount of rain or another could be expected every sunday todays forcast calls for 36c, blazing sunshine, with the wind maybe letting as the day goes on.

Ug.

Bring a hat, sunglasses, umbrella, whatever. Pity the fools who're going to be running about in it and watch the superior Lions and Sokol benchs win the day.

"Minority of one"

There well be a new Challange Cup Champion for 2003.

Sons of Italy Lions-1 Hellas Soccer Club-2

OPA HELLAS!!!!!

An early first half goal into the stiff wind put Hellas in good stead. The superior Lions midfield spent much of the first half wary of an organised Hellas counter-attack and provided no quality threat for the remainded of the first half.

The second half though was all Lions as the defending Canadian Champions had the bit between their teeth and pressured the white shirts for what had to have been 35 minutes of the second half. Hellas' 'keeper and man of the match Jimmy Sarlis was steady enough if a little scary at times and held the Lions off the scoresheet untell an extra time marker brought the Lions back to within one after a late Alex Bustos breakaway had pretty much sealed the Cup victory for the Greek side.

Can't go on too much. Just ran home to pick up the Wee Elf as she's keen on catching the Sokol-Maples Cup semi. Man of the match Hellas' Jimmy Sarlis. Honourable mention Hellas' Alex Bustos & Lions' Tony Nocita (pressuring looked good on the old man, 36c heat and all).

Nice crowd. Had to be onto 400 with a goodly Greek contingent to witness a grand victory.

Annnd,,,.

Only one upset per customer.

Maples Juventus-2 Sokol-5

Not much to report, lads. Sokol walked to a 5-nil lead and allowed Maples a couple of curtosy goals towards the end as the heat seemed to have gotten the better of the Maples bunch. Herbie Blackwood, last years top scorer has been rather moody this year with the arrival of his big striking partner (and talk of the league) Nolly Sanchez, but Mr. Blackwood was all smiles and jokes today.

Would have to say the highlight of the match was Sokol's Nano Romaro's post goal celebration which involved a sideline run and a spiderman mask. Nano was rightly booked for said celebration but the incident nicely sums up the whole contest. A close second might be the booking of Abby Soloman for shooting off his mouth with some enthusiasm following a call he odviously didn't agree with. First time I've seen a white ref. who speaks Eritrian (?).

Man of the match? Well as no one in particular stood out I'd have to say Herbie Blackwood. He netted a pair, was full of energy and as good as it got on the pitch . Again though, no one realy stood out.

Smaller crowd. Say about 200 at most, including a few of the Hellas players and supporters who'd lingered about to scout next weeks opposition.

"Minority of one"

i'm speechless but at the same time knew my brother had a point to prove to everyone in Manitoba. I guess this was it. from what i heard it was a great team win with a few outstanding performances.

too bad they are up against some serious pressure in the final. but i give hellas the win by the same scorline. 2-1

opa

THE TRUTH HAS SPOKEN

What point did your bro have to prove? Let's be honest shall we? No offense to Hellas,but they are not even in the same league as Son's of Italy.They got the Son's on an off day with a bad ref and two water breaks which slowed the game to a crawl.Your bro was non-existant in the second half because he is way overweight.Congrats to Hellas but you call yourself the Truth and I just told it to you! While we are being truthful,let's also be honest....there is no way in hell they will beat Sokol.

Water breaks midway between each half. Yeah, that was kinda neat. Had one feeling they were 12 years old again. I wouldn't complain about it though as I'll dought you'll find too many of the players who are. Don't think there was anyone after the Lions-Hellas match who had anything left to give to the match water breaks and all. Hell, I'll include some of the supporters in that statement. Nice to see.

Don't think Justin had a very good match. Has his momments, a spell of play here or there. Hellas certainly looked to the man to organise the field for them as play evolved. Faded in the 2nd half like everyone else and was maybe too tenative on more than one occassion but that might have been due to the ref'ing. Hellas' biggest defensive victory sunday was not allowing the ref. any half chance to call a penalty on them in that 2nd half because boy he sure looked like he wanted to. The Lions have yet to see the ****tiest end of the ref'ing stick this year by a long shot, that latest Cup match being no exception.

Hellas is a tough match up for the Lions. Don't think it's a secret how defensively aggressive the Lions are attacking the ball carrier. Seen it since day one at the Charity Shield. Too aggressive. I'm sure it works wonderfully against the less skilled sides but against a good passing opponent with a mind to the counter and a familiarity amongst the members it's an aggression which can be exploited and Hellas have proven that, twice. They came away once with praise and once with the goods and the funny part is both times the poorer looking side got the win.

Has to be disappointing for Sons of Italy. Their whole season was a focus for defending the Canadian Championship. They've travelled east-west-south everywhere at great expence to the club and players looking for a higher quality opponent to sharpen their teeth on. Sort of dedication that can't go unsupported by any football fan and is an honour to this city's game. To loose out in this tourny to Hellas, not Lucania, not Sokol, and not in the final, must be a bit much. Have to wonder if it's been too much. Peaking as it were, too soon. Don't know. Maybe it was just the heat and over confidense. After their last league matchup, forget the scoreline the Lions should have been more wary.

If Sokol comes 100% to play next sunday they'll tear Hellas to shreads. Ten men in the box wouldn't save them. Sokol's too strong in the air and way less expossed to the counter. But I'm of the oppinion Sokol's unbeatable if they bring their best game for 90 minutes against anyone in the Premier Division who're on their best game, the Lions included.

Still, it's only one match, and it looked like Sokol were already counting unhatched chickens with the way they were playing Maples sunday evening. Could be a pretty gutsy contest next sunday. Hope so.

Well let's put it this way. hellas has never been a competing team since i've been around. all of a sudden justin joins hellas last season and they finish a respectable 5th. last season they only lost to son's in penalties. the other game they drew. i understand that they may not be in the same league as SOI but besides tony and steve who on Soi is in the same league with justin. It doesn't matter how big he is he will always be a focal point of a game. Non-existant, well i doubt he had his best game but believe me i don't have to be there to know he was a factor in that win. I also doubt hellas will beat sokol but i have to cheer on my bro. I don't know who you are but i may as well add you to the long list of Hart haters.

THE TRUTH HAS SPOKEN

Hart Hater,not true! Admire Justin's skill actually!I just tell the TRUTH.You should respect that!Justin was a big factor in the game...in the first half.He played very well and set up Bustos on what should have been an easy goal,but Alex missed (made up for it later)But as I said he disappeared in the second half.Tired?Ok they have seemed to have Sons number but how have they done vs,the other top teams?

Only seen them play against Lions this year so I just have to go on the published results and grandstand gossip. Nearly took one from Sokol early on in the season but with Sokol's habit of sitting whacks of starting players against the lesser strength sides it's hard to guess how the game went.

They look good to finish 4th especially as they're hitting their stride it seams. Finishing above Winnipeg Croatia and Maples would have to be a very good result.

No bench to speak of though. Still a long way, three-four players at least from regularily challenging the Big Three I'd guess.

Archived