MSA Cup semi-final matchups determined

Cheeta

Well the MSA Cup semi matchups are in. Both matchs to be played at Red River College Sunday, Aug. 17th. Kickoff times yet to be determined. As it is.

Sons of Italy Lions vs Hellas

Maples Juventus vs Sokol

The final is set for the following Sunday, Aug. 24th, also at Red River. Again though kickoff time well be made available whenever those resposable can get their **** together.

Manitoba determines who'll represent the province at the Canadian nationals through the MSA Cup. As a side note, Lions are so far undefeated in league play, looking stronger as they go along and could take the double this year. A triple crown should they pull off a repeat as Canadian Champions!

Going to make a very, very safe bet and call a Lions-Sokol final[:I]

As a side note, Hellas and the Lions play thursday (7:30) at Vince Leah. Looks to be a nice night for footy if you can ever believe the weather man and expect that a message or two is likely to be sent. Should be fun. If anyone comes out don't be shy! Come say hey to the Cheeta. I'll be the one with the "Sell beers in the Canteena" petition.:D

"Minority of one"

Just a "little" addition to the above posting.

Lions-4 Hellas-2 in league play as Sons of Italy continue their perfect season. Leading 3-1 at the half Lions met some very determined and quality play from a Hellas side after the restart that left the blueshirts feeling hard done by, and rightly so, at the final whistle. After a spell of high winds, followed by some goodly amount of rain, the greatest part of the match was played out under beautiful conditions on a somewhat greasy pitch.

The north penalty area must have had some bad karma, at least for Hellas. Two of the Lions four goals came from the spot at that end of the pitch and with the score sitting at 3-1 Lions and Hellas well in command of the pitch a third penalty WASN'T awarded on a Lions hand ball midway throught the second half. Everyone likes to get on the ref's, but that "ignored" penalty in the 2nd half must have summed up the match in a nutshell as far as Hellas were concearned.

The styles of play of these two clubs match up very well. The aggresive Lions defending was well checked by a confident Hellas side who're organised, intelligent and creative enough to move the ball in all directions and exploit this same Lions energy to their benefit. With speed at both the attacking and defending flanks Hellas are able to make the field both very big, and very small as needs be. For their part the Lions on field adjustments to the ebb and flow of a close match has to be unmatched. This sort of versatility combined with the high quality of their play has, and well continue to serve them in good sted. A side very much commited to the attack that can play some very sound defensive ball when required.

Hoping Hellas bring as good a game to the MSA semi-finals. Should be very entertaining.

<Rant Alert!!!>In the five matchs this year I've seen Sons of Italy play they've gone through to victory three times in close matchs to what one can call very friendly ref'ing. It discredits the quality of their play when the perception of biased judgment is allowed to occure. We do play a somewhat physical game in this city, even at the Premier level but it realy dose go well beyond that. Understanding that this is not the EPL, or the MSL, or even the A-League for that matter and the quality of the men & women with the whistles is appropriate to the players they're ref'ing, it realy is still becoming too much. Sons of Italy Lions may have a great season, maybe their best ever, stained by all this nonscense. Should they win the MSA Cup and go on to disapoint at the Canadian Championships many just might say it was because they weren't allowed to bring their MMSL ref'ing along with them. Oh how I could continue to go on,,,.

"Minority of one"

I agree with the lack luster refereeing that goes on there. There is a lot to do with the fact that after every game the ref's and the players go have a few beers. As this may seem innocent after a while it turns to favoritism. Also i don't think any of the ref's really watch soccer or have the proper training cuz in one instance they will call a shoulder to shoulder play but let go a harmless two foot studs up tackle. Being an ex ref i know people make mistakes but if you watch the game in europe you see that when big men play they bump into eachother. That is allowed but soem refs think otherwise.

I don't knwo if you made the connection yet but i'm rooting for hellas as my brother plays for them.

Yeah, I'm going to assume it's Justin. Don't know if he got stick during half time or what but he sure put a forgettable first half to bed and just came on like gangbusters for the 2nd. Played a very good 2nd half game. Must have taken all of Hellas' free kicks and delivered some excellent passes at all ranges. Maybe not the quickest, but quick enough and able to cover a lot of the pitch that much is for sure.

Quite the terrier that boy. Realy disrupted the Lions midfield and contributed to Hellas' forward play. A good example of why these two sides match up so well. Lions can play a very chippy game but it didn't work one inch against Hellas. Your brother got under a lot of skins and took his share of abuse to equaly measure what he was giving out. Seemed very content to take the rough play to whatever level the opposition wished to go to and looked the more able to handle it! Was getting fu'king hilarious. Had a free kick later in the game at midfield and just rifled the ball off a Lions players head and to touch 15 yard further up field. He didn't say anything as the complaints started to fall onto the ref. The look said it all. "Quit your whinning. Or do something about it. Or next time back up 10 yards!"

Hellas' #7 (Alex Bustos?) man of the match. Very skilled. Very dangerous. He had the Lions backing up or concearned at every touch of the ball. Got the typical "Aitkens elbow" in the back of the head/neck there once or twice. Lucky not to have gotten an injury on one in particular between the Lions' flying elbow and the incoming long ball. Actualy wasn't as bad as he's been in some games. Don't know if the ref's have been told to watch him more closely and he's being careful or just that so much of the attacking buildup by Hellas was done on the ground.

"Minority of one"

yes i still look up to justin cuz from day one he has always demanded respect not through his words but by the way he can play. the worst part about it is that he smokes, drinks and does any and everything bad to his body that he can and still is one of the best. put him on a good team and they'll win. put him on a ****ty team like hellas and look what magic he's doing. they might not finish first but without him they'd be dewelling at the bottom. About the andy aitken special, well i knwo all too well about it. he is a decent player but is intent on tryin to injure people. one of these days it will come back to haunt him. there are many dirty players in the peg, which is one reason i don't come back to play indoor. the game is supposed to be compeitive but ultimately for fun and these guys take it off the field and make it personal. Alex bustos has always been a great player. when i was there a couple months ago i played an exhibition game with hellas and as i said in an ealrier post we killed them. i played up top with alex while justin sat in behind us. he just kept feeding us some great passes. i still try to get him to get serious and come out here to play, and i think i'm making some progress but time is definetly not on his side.

Archived