WWC tv coverage update

littleD

From Truth & Rumours in today's Globe and Mail.

The women's World Cup of soccer will be available on Canadian television, even though the CBC decided not to broadcast the tournament.

According to sources, Rogers Sportsnet is close to reaching a rights deal that would include the championship game.

Joining Sportsnet as a broadcaster would be WTSN, the women's sports network on digital TV.

Both the CBC and TSN took a pass on the tournament because of scheduling conflicts involving car racing as well as Canadian Football League and National Hockey League programming.

Sportsnet has done well with women's soccer over the past year.

Last summer's under-19 world tournament turned into a ratings bonanza, producing almost one million viewers for the Canada-U.S. championship game.

A recent Canada-Brazil exhibition drew more than 100,000 to Sportsnet. WTSN has pulled in audiences as large as 30,000 for women's soccer, a big number on digital TV.

The Canadian women's team has a shot at a medal in the U.S.-based tournament, scheduled for Sept. 20 to Oct. 12.

Finally WTSN enters the picture! I hope they carry all the WWC games that aren't on Sportsnet. I think all the games are already going to be on ESPN or ESPN2, so I would think it wouldn't be a big deal to get them on WTSN.

quote:Originally posted by littleD

From Truth & Rumours in today's Globe and Mail.

Both the CBC and TSN took a pass on the tournament because of scheduling conflicts involving car racing as well as Canadian Football League and National Hockey League programming.

Car racing, there is an entertaining sport? to watch. I have never met someone who watches car racing. Canadian content?

• 1 month later...

Archived