Current Gold Cup rehatching the league issue.

DoyleG

It was noted during the Costa Rica game that Canada was the most reliant on players from overseas clubs. Every other team relied mainly on domestic players.

Should any league discussion be considered as fallout from the Gold Cup?

As much I'd like to see more pro clubs or a Canadian league, I doubt that failure at the Gold Cup, or anywhere else, will spur on a new league as opposed to success. The CSL was before my "conversion" to a rabid soccer fan, but I believe that Canada's success in qualifying for WC 86 had no small part in the process.

The big investors out there aren't willing to jump in when the situation is more positive, why would this failure bring the money to the table? If they were such noble, patriotic investors in the game, they'd already be involved.

Jason

When we won the Gold Cup in 2000, why did we not look at the Canadian League then? Because around that time, the KPMG report just came out that stated a national professional league for Canada was risky and highly speculative.

Yet take a country like Brazil, that was first in the FIFA rankings yet it did not have a national league. How do they do it? They have their State Leagues and then a Brazilian Championship (similar to Canadian Figure Skating and the Brier for Curling).

Doyle G, I was thinking(and Moosehead also thought of this) why not take the current National Soccer championships(currently only open to amateur teams) in Canada and give it a higher profile. Of course this would involve many changes like allowing the Canadian professional teams to participate in the Prvincial Cups. This Canadian Championships would...

a) be a ten team ''league''

B) played from September to October

c) only winners of the provincial cups(played from April to August)would play in the Canadian Championship

d) would be shown on Sportsnet similar to the Brier

e) give us a ''National League'' that would allow the winning team to go on to the CONCACAF Champions Cup

f) teams like the Impact, Storm, Whitecaps, would not have to come out of the A-League, they would have to win the provincial cups to play in the Canadian Championships

g) home and away matches

h) raise the profile of medium to smaller size towns in Canada(Red Deer, Sherbrooke) which will never have proteam but could strive to make Canadian Championship

i) use existing resources like the National Championship and improve on it.

j) use prize money for the winning team

Just a thought.

quote:Originally posted by Jason

As much I'd like to see more pro clubs or a Canadian league, I doubt that failure at the Gold Cup, or anywhere else, will spur on a new league as opposed to success. The CSL was before my "conversion" to a rabid soccer fan, but I believe that Canada's success in qualifying for WC 86 had no small part in the process.

The big investors out there aren't willing to jump in when the situation is more positive, why would this failure bring the money to the table? If they were such noble, patriotic investors in the game, they'd already be involved.

Jason

It would be quite hard for the Corperate Canada to back something that can be considered "half-baked" such as the CUSL. One has to remeber that MLS was considered one of three options for a US League when it was considered.

The CSA would have to come up with a much better plan than they hhad with the CUSL proposal.

This time around I will be endorsing 100% Doyle's proposal on a Canadian league. This is despite of my disagreements with Doyle in the past. During this tournament, I was appalled to discover that we are the only nation at the Gold Cup where a huge core of our players play in foreign leagues, and that our opponents are the only ones that have focused on domestic league players. In other words, Canada does not have a league, and the CSA does not give a $hit about this problem what so ever. I was even surprised to discover that Cuba has a soccer league of which many clubs originate from the Army, Navy, Universities, towns and cities. Hey!!! At least the Cubans got something, and we don't. Even Martinique has a league which is mainly used for developmental purposes for players to achieve entry into the French Professional League in Europe. Therefore, let's do something about it. Perhaps fully commit ourselves by placing 3 more teams such as Ottawa, Hamilton and Winnipeg in the A-League by 2005. Of course through this I don't mean to exclude the present existing clubs such as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary (if ownership matter is resolved soon) and finally Edmonton by 2004. We should start placing pressure on the CSA to pursue this idea, rather than focussing our time and effort on the Toronto MLS bull-$hit.

Doyle you got my vote on this one, even though I hate your right-wing ideas.

Doyle, when I meant investors weren't willing to jump in when things were more positive, I was not making any reference to the CUSL. You were tying the poor national team performance this week to developing a league. If investors weren't willing to step up to the plate for whatever pro soccer option (MLS, A-League, start their own league) when the nats were having good results and a positive buzz (GC win, or even 3rd place finish), why would they be prompted by this failure? If I was on the fence deciding to invest in pro soccer, a Gold Cup win would make me more likely to invest than a loss to Cuba.

Jason

Doyle, when I meant investors weren't willing to jump in when things were more positive, I was not making any reference to the CUSL. You were tying the poor national team performance this week to developing a league. If investors weren't willing to step up to the plate for whatever pro soccer option (MLS, A-League, start their own league) when the nats were having good results and a positive buzz (GC win, or even 3rd place finish), why would they be prompted by this failure? If I was on the fence deciding to invest in pro soccer, a Gold Cup win would make me more likely to invest than a loss to Cuba.

Jason

Luis, sure those tiny countries have "national leagues" but the quality of the leagues are poor. I'm sure most CPSL teams could go down any beat up on the majority of the club teams in the smaller Carribean countries. I know there are some good sides in Jamaica and T&T, but you can't suggest that Martinique or Cuba's national leagues even approach the quality of the CPSL or probably the PCSL. Our A-League sides would demolish most Carribean clubs.

Jason

Luis, sure those tiny countries have "national leagues" but the quality of the leagues are poor. I'm sure most CPSL teams could go down any beat up on the majority of the club teams in the smaller Carribean countries. I know there are some good sides in Jamaica and T&T, but you can't suggest that Martinique or Cuba's national leagues even approach the quality of the CPSL or probably the PCSL. Our A-League sides would demolish most Carribean clubs.

Jason

Jason

Poor results often lead to action. The results in Mexico '86 showed the need for a national league when there was not one in North America, hence the creation of the CSL, with already a base to start with. The problem here is the CSA isn't addressing the urgency for such a league, as is seen by the CUSL proposal.

The point for those leagues is to provide a form of professional play. That is what is needed in Canada as well.

I'm listening to the Montreal English broadcast of tonights Impact game and the play buy play guy and colour commentator ripped Osieck apart for his team selection. To sum it up they said that there should be more players picked that are in the middle of their season right now in the A-League and MLS. I agree. Having a Canadian league would make more players available. It's time to stop picking players just based on the level thay are playing elsewhere in the world. Can't do any worse really.

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

Doyle G, I was thinking(and Moosehead also thought of this) why not take the current National Soccer championships(currently only open to amateur teams) in Canada and give it a higher profile. Of course this would involve many changes like allowing the Canadian professional teams to participate in the Prvincial Cups. This Canadian Championships would...

a) be a ten team ''league''

B) played from September to October

c) only winners of the provincial cups(played from April to August)would play in the Canadian Championship

d) would be shown on Sportsnet similar to the Brier

e) give us a ''National League'' that would allow the winning team to go on to the CONCACAF Champions Cup

f) teams like the Impact, Storm, Whitecaps, would not have to come out of the A-League, they would have to win the provincial cups to play in the Canadian Championships

g) home and away matches

h) raise the profile of medium to smaller size towns in Canada(Red Deer, Sherbrooke) which will never have proteam but could strive to make Canadian Championship

i) use existing resources like the National Championship and improve on it.

j) use prize money for the winning team

Not a half-bad idea Impact Supporter. The problem with your proposal, as I understand it, is that the provincial and regional associations would not be willing to allow pro teams to play in their cups. And there are so many political games involved for each region that it makes cohesion near impossible.

What we need is for more Voyageurs (including myself) to get involved in the provincial and regional soccer politics - to infiltrate the system if you will.

This may sound like a half-baked idea, but if we're committed to this, we need to put the proof in the pudding and put action behind our words.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I'm listening to the Montreal English broadcast of tonights Impact game and the play buy play guy and colour commentator ripped Osieck apart for his team selection. To sum it up they said that there should be more players picked that are in the middle of their season right now in the A-League and MLS. I agree. Having a Canadian league would make more players available. It's time to stop picking players just based on the level thay are playing elsewhere in the world. Can't do any worse really.

It seems a lot of people have been blinded by simply looking at the quality of team/league in evaluating players. Did Hirschfleld instantly become a better keeper when the ink dried on this Tottenham contract?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if a 14 year old Canadian signed with Real Madrid or Man U's youth club, somebody would be on the board suggesting we call him up to the nats.

Jason

Let's forget about adding a Toronto franchise in MLS for now. Let's persuade the CSA to abandon this whole idea all together. What Canada really needs right now is to add more teams in the A-League. Aside from the present ones (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton'2004), we should seriously persuade the CSA to add further teams such as Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City and Victoria to the A-League by 2005. As for Calgary, I have faith that the ownership issue will be resolved by the end of August/2003. Furthermore, I would love to see the whole CUSL concept revive all over again. By then, we will have about 10-team in the A-League. I even forward these ideas through an E-mail to the CSA, and hoping for a response.

Archived