Costa Rican press coverage

George

I took a quick look at several CR newspaers today. Despite a lot of Gold Cup coverage regarding their squad, there was not a lot on Canada.

This is all I could find:

Contra Canadá, Costa Rica encontrará un equipo que no concede libertades en el fondo de la defensa y los nacionales han mostrado deficiencias en el ataque.

- El Heraldo

http://www.elheraldo.net/deportes/deportes.htm

[Against Canada, Costa Rica will face a team that does not take chances in the backfield the team has also shown to be weak in the attack.]

"A pretty move, for the love of God."

Eduardo Galeano

As a change to those hilarious online translations, here is my attempt at a more contextual (not literal) translation. Sorry if I took liberties with some of the meaning. ( Lo siento, amigos.)

I get the sense that the Costa Ricans seem more concerned about Cuba than Canada. The reporter seems not to have too much knowledge about the Canadian team, but rather is echoing the available US press's dismissive attitude towards us.

It is interesting to note in how much of a fish bowl soccer players outside of North America live.

"Smooth Practice: Costa Rica National Team Has Already Arrived In the United States.

(note: “Suave practica’’ has the double meaning of easy workout and going smoothly)

Sports elheraldo.net

Our national team had its first practice yesterday in Boston, with a view to the encounter against Canada, the Tico debut in the Gold Cup.

The practice consisted of easy training, to relax muscles after a long trip from Costa Rica to the venue in Boston.

No difficulties were reported this evening and it was evident that the players were excited, expectedly waiting for the encounter with Canada, Saturday, 11 am (note: current Costa Rica time is same as MDT).

Costa Rica is the is the current Gold Cup runner-up, because it lost the last final to the United States, two goals to nil.

The only weakness that has faced coach Steve Sampson, is the absence of Alajuelense’s Alexander Castro, who faced a support payments problem last Tuesday and did not travel with the rest of the group.

Nevertheless, Castro was able to deal with it, thanks to the aid of his club, Alajuelense, and just yesterday left for Boston.

The Aalajuelense winger was listed as one of the starters, although the situation could change now.

"I am happy because I can finally go, and this will force me to fight harder because now I know now I really want to be here. Now I feel a burning desire to play football. In addition, because a buddy killed himself, I also I am going away to kill... but on the field ", (this is really difficult to translate) he said, moments before leaving.

Castro also clarified that he has not been involved with any other woman but his wife, and expressed that the whole personal problem is, indeed, with her (I get the sense that there has been a lot of yellow journalism in CR concerning his domestic problems, and this was just ongoing discussion about this).

"They served the court documents on me just an hour ago, I didn’t think that they would persecute me like this, I have always done right by my children, this is just brought about by resentment and hatred ".

Other than this (the absence of Castro), coach Sampson can now concentrate on putting the full team through further preparation, something that he has not had a real opportunity to properly do since it he started his job.

Against Canada, Costa Rica will meet a team whose central defence does not concede many easy opportunities and their forwards have shown weakness in attack.

Tuesday (this is a mistake, as the game is on Wednesday), the Ticos play Cuba in the second match, a challenge that is on surface something that would be easily handled, but which on further reflection will truly present some difficulties because Cuba displays the progress of Caribbean football over the last few years . This match starts at 4:30 p.m.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

I get the sense that the Costa Ricans seem more concerned about Cuba than Canada. The reporter seems not to have too much knowledge about the Canadian team, but rather is echoing the available US press's dismissive attitude towards us.

I believe this demonstrates more knowledge of the Canadian team than anything I've seen in the Canadian press about Costa Rica [}:)]. Except of course, G-L's piece in the World Football Pages, which incidently came late today, so I didn't have a chance to read it at lunch [V]. Going home in 10 minutes though [^]

The opinions expressed above are just that.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

I believe this demonstrates more knowledge of the Canadian team than anything I've seen in the Canadian press about Costa Rica [}:)]. Except of course, G-L's piece in the World Football Pages, which incidently came late today, so I didn't have a chance to read it at lunch [V]. Going home in 10 minutes though [^]

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Well here's what I've gleaned about Costa Rica from La Nacion (definitely the best source for Ticos news) and some Costa Rican supporters I know.

They played a final tune-up against a CR club team 2-0.

-------------------Gonzalez

---------Marin----Wright---Martinez

A. Castro--Centeno--Vallejos---C.Castro

----------------------Fonseca

------------------Scott-------Parks

It appears that Gonzalez has taken Mesen's spot for both the national team and their club team Alajuela. Mesen was Lonnis' back-up at the World Cup. That back three seems pretty established. I was surprised that A. Castro beat out Jervis Drummond (injured at the World Cup) and Harold Wallace on the right flank, but both Drummond and Wallace were named as alternates. According to the article George posted it appears he's going to start out there, if his family troubles get in the wya they'll probably start Bennet in his place.

While C. Castro started in the World Cup, Leonardo Gonzalez is a Sampson favourite and a should be a young prospect on that side. Vallejos is a young d-mid who made the World Cup XI, but the Tico thought they might go with Solis instead, the veteran.

Expect Fonseca and Parks up front and Wilmer Lopez to take his normal spot behind the forwards.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

Well here's what I've gleaned about Costa Rica from La Nacion (definitely the best source for Ticos news) and some Costa Rican supporters I know.

They played a final tune-up against a CR club team 2-0.

-------------------Gonzalez

---------Marin----Wright---Martinez

A. Castro--Centeno--Vallejos---C.Castro

----------------------Fonseca

------------------Scott-------Parks

It appears that Gonzalez has taken Mesen's spot for both the national team and their club team Alajuela. Mesen was Lonnis' back-up at the World Cup. That back three seems pretty established. I was surprised that A. Castro beat out Jervis Drummond (injured at the World Cup) and Harold Wallace on the right flank, but both Drummond and Wallace were named as alternates. According to the article George posted it appears he's going to start out there, if his family troubles get in the wya they'll probably start Bennet in his place.

While C. Castro started in the World Cup, Leonardo Gonzalez is a Sampson favourite and a should be a young prospect on that side. Vallejos is a young d-mid who made the World Cup XI, but the Tico thought they might go with Solis instead, the veteran.

Expect Fonseca and Parks up front and Wilmer Lopez to take his normal spot behind the forwards.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

Archived