Manitoba Soccer Association Cup Qualifying Fiasco

ND

Has anyone seen the draw for the 2003 MSA Cup Qualifying???

In group C there is Sokol, Sons of Italy, and Lucania.... How can one put the top three teams in the same group for qualifying?? All this will do is water down the main MSA Cup... Wouldn't you want the best team's to be fighting for the Championship, not knocking each other out before the final round?

The worst thing is... the people in charge of the draw.. They own a Premier team in Winnipeg (Maples Juventus), and low and behold... Their team is in a pool with Division 4 & 5 teams.... Is this a fix?? I would say so.... Why were the top seeds not given a seeding to ensure that the very best teams advance to the final rounds??

Once again Manitoba allows itself to do what is best for the few, rather then what will benefit soccer as a whole...

Any other thoughts???

On the upside the qualifying from Group C should showcase some great matches...

Lucania (2 time National Champions)

Sons of Italy (2002 National Champions)

Sokol (Undefeated in 2002 League play)

Gotta feel bad for the Dynamo crew. They'll do well to score a goal, unlucky buggers.

Guessing you could have seeded the top three clubs based on last years standings without too much complaint. Would have made scence to me but then didn't Lucania finish 4th last year? They might still have ended up in a hard grouping but at least it wouldn't be with Sokol and S of I Lions. Still, the top two well come out of the group and could meet again in the finals and I'm sure there are probably 5 clubs in the cup very happy to see that those three are together in the same group.

Maples got a favorable draw all right. That's a pretty easy walk to the semi's.

Holy crap. Cup play starts this weekend. Not a bad weekend coming up. Impact-Syracuse friday, Costa Rica saturday, Vince Leah sunday and then Coo-bah monday. I am content.

"Minority of one"

Archived