Canada's 18-player roster announced!

MikeD

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:

Was Daniel feeling some pressure to get playing time from the Canadian camp? Is it pressure he is putting on himself, and did the experience he had at the Qualifying tournament have any influence on this? From your reports Jeffrey, it sounded like he had a good arrangement at Celta Viga and I find it tough to think that playing in the German 4th is a better gig for him.

Daniel was not keen about spending another year on the bench. The deal at Celta was good, and he was unlucky as the four keepers ahead of him were rarely injured or red-carded, so there were none of the typical breaks that keepers need to get a shot at starting and showing their stuff. Cavallero the Celta 1st team starter was the best in Spain this year, and oddly enough the keeper for Celta B, José Juan (Josiño), was one of the best in a division where Celta struggled to avoid relegation.

I think that Dan put the pressure on himself. He would often say that he didn't want to go the World Cup without playing regularly first, meaning he didn't want to face Brazil without the confidence that would give him. A personal challenge he wants to be able to live up to. Daniel is very honest, he didn't want the mere fact of having Celta Vigo beside his name be the merit point for starting in UAEmirates (honest too in praising his rivals, like the other keepers at Celta, or Srdjan Djekanovic who is in our pool for the under-20s as well). I don't think that what happened at qualifying hurt him that much in the end, if he'd played a bit more for Celta he would have gotten over it more quickly though.

I argued that with the Youth Cup in November he couldn't reasonably expect to play until December, as he would have to appear in some Canada camps (late August in the Soccer tournament in Houston, Vancouver in September, then friendlies vs. Panama and I think Colombia or maybe it's Costa Rica in October, then on to Turkey early mid November to play Turkey and possibly a European side also preparing there). I think he should have waited for a break at Celta, as it could mean something very special in the end. Maybe if he plays in Oberliga he'll have that confidence and be the leader at the back we need to make it through that tough first round at the Cup.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll write up a full report when I get back from Boston, post it here Tuesday night...I'm sure you'll get lots of news here before that time..

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

-Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by Warren in the UK

Hey guys.

Living in the UK I am not sure where or how I will be able to see the Gold Cup tournament. Any information would help.

Canada's soccer teams in underated

If you can't find any coverage in the UK, I am sure that someone here will gladly send you some tapes after the fact.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Archived