Olivier Bernard on trial?

I haven't seen this anywhere, so either it's gone completely under the radar, or the report has the wrong club listed. I happened across it in this story.

Clubs can seek compensation for trainees who leave

Clubs can seek compensation for young players they have trained if they go on to sign their first contract with a team in another EU country.

The European Court of Justice ruled on the case of French defender Olivier Bernard's move from Lyon to Newcastle in 2000 - he now trains with Toronto.

Lyon sued Newcastle and Bernard, now 29, but both appealed, which led to the French Court seeking the judgement.

In future, clubs can seek compensation from other clubs, but not from players.

Hmm weird - did a quick wiki on the guy and got this:

He trained with Toronto FC to keep his fitness up in June 2008, mainly because he is friends with former Toronto midfielder Laurent Robert.

So he's been retired - I guess a comeback at a club he's already trained with?

PS found this article - maybe he's training as part of his coaching license/accreditation? (article Feb 25)

BERNARD TARGETS QUAKERS ROLE

Former Newcastle United defender Olivier Bernard is keen to start his coaching career with basement side Darlington.

The Frenchman made his Football League bow in a loan spell with the Quakers before going on to make his name for the St James' Park club.

After being forced to retire due to injury in 2007, Bernard, now 30, has been taking his FA coaching badges and is lining up a return to Darlington to launch a managerial career.

He told the Northern Echo: "Hopefully I will be fully qualified in a year or so and my aim is to eventually get a job coaching in the Premier League.

"Next month I'm due to start coaching at the complex where Darlington and Hartlepool have their training pitches.

"I felt at home as soon as I joined Darlington and I still have a high regard for the club. It would be perfect if my coaching career could follow the same path as when I played."

Archived