Union pick 10 in the expansion draft

jpg75

Hmmm, not sure i would have made all of the same selections they did, but not a bad draft overall...

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20091125&content_id=7718268&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Philadelphia Union 2009 Expansion Draft Selections

(listed in alphabetical order)

Player            (Pos.)   Former Club 

Jordan Harvey      (D)     Colorado Rapids 

Andrew Jacobson    (M)     D.C. United  

Brad Knighton      (G)     New England Revolution 

Sebastien Le Toux  (F)     Seattle Sounders FC 

Stefani Miglioranzi(M)     LA Galaxy 

Alejandro Moreno   (F)     Columbus Crew 

Dave Myrie         (D)     Chicago Fire  

Shea Salinas       (M)     San Jose Earthquakes 

Shavar Thomas      (D)     Chivas USA 

Nick Zimmerman     (M)     New York Red Bulls 

quote:Originally posted by SoccerfanatiQ

It is odd that they didn't pick any players from Toronto !

I'm also surprise Le Toux was not protected in Seattle, he's been <s>playing</s> sitting on the benchfor them for a while now !

Fixed your post. He was starting earlier in the season but seems to have fallen back to late 2nd half sub as the season wound down.

quote:Originally posted by SoccerfanatiQ

It is odd that they didn't pick any players from Toronto !

I'm also surprise Le Toux was not protected in Seattle, he's been playing for them for a while now !

Maybe not so odd when you consider they had 15 teams to pick the 10 players from. Given the other keepers available there wasn't much danger of them taking Edwards and a combination of age, salary, World Cup participation, reputation as a bit of a headcase and imminent knee surgery could have put them off Guevara. The others were never serious contenders for selection. Carl Robinson is only really rated by the more anglocentric (yes I know he's Welsh) TFC fans, Gerba has clearly had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus for a reason, Vitti is not currently under contract with MLS and Fellinga, Garcia and Gala would have been waste of a pick given the players available elsewhere.

Archived