July 18/09 W-League Toronto Lady Lynx vs Quebec

Result of the Saturday July 18, 2009 W-League game between Toronto Lady Lynx and Quebec Amirals played at Hershey Centre in Mississauga at 5:00pm.

60 min…Lady Lynx Tiffany Cameron GOAL…LL Stefania Morra takes cornerkick from right over head of Nathalie Urbas on right side of net. LL Clare Rustad heads ball from 7 yards on left that goalie Marie-Pier Bilodeau saves but Cameron kicks in 6 yard rebound over fallen goalie.

86 min…Lady Lynx Tiffany Cameron GOAL…Cameron given chipped through ball on left wing and rushes in from left where she curls shot from 18 yards into right corner of net behind goalie who was 12 yards off her line waiting to cut off a direct shot from left side.

Final Score:………Toronto Lady Lynx………2……………Quebec City Amirals…………0………….

Attendance was about 150 on this mild afternoon with a strong wind from the west (the field aligns north-south) through out the game.

Tiffany Cameron proved very efficient as a substitute as she scored the first goal within two minutes of coming in. Her second goal was very satisfying as just two minutes earlier on a breakaway that also started on the left side the goalie cut her down at the 15 yard mark with a sliding scissor kick which caused Cameron to fall over and the ball get away but referee Peter Pendli didn’t give her a penalty kick.

Justine Bernier earned the shutout for the Lady Lynx making a few key saves. The defence really neutralized star player Melissa Lesage who played for Laval Comets last year and in a Brazilian women’s league. Goalie Marie-Pier Bilodeau and midfielder Catherine Scott also played last year for the Comets as did Emilie Mercier (a midfielder not listed in today’s game). The Comets will also not make the playoffs this year.

The Amirals was originally awarded the franchise name “Arsenal” but were threatened with legal action as the English soccer club has the rights to that name in Canada. Maybe Samuel de Champlain didn’t do the paperwork back in 1608 when he founded the city or he left the cannonballs and gunpowder out in the rain.

Lady Lynx had four players back that were away the last few weeks with Canada’s under-20 team—defender Lexi Marton and forward Tiffany Cameron were in today’s game and midfielder Caroline Szwed and defender/forward Bryana McCarthy were not on today’s roster.

This was the final game of the season for the Lady Lynx. They finish with a record of 6 wins, 4 losses, and 4 ties and they are currently in a tie for fourth of the eight team Great Lakes Division.

Today was like this season’s playoff game for the Toronto team. The Amirals are a first year team but made the playoffs this year. The road to the final four would have led through them and Ottawa Fury which was also a team Lady Lynx defeated within the last week. I congratulated head coach Danny Stewart and we compared notes about the season. A slow start and games they should have won. I counted a tie against London which they dominated. Stewart said they won and drew Buffalo Flash which was another team that finished ahead of them this year (and another first year team). I remember the Buffalo game giving up the tying goal at about the 94 minute mark.

There was no sound system at the Hershey Centre field (this game was moved from Centennial Stadium because of the City of Toronto’s workers strike) so Lady Lynx officials decided to postpone giving out their season player awards until Tuesday. I couldn’t get an answer as to if Clare Rustad had won the Media’s Choice as MVP.

I said to her while she was signing autographs for a bunch of kids “I don’t know if you won the Media MVP award but as I seem to be the only one who comes out to watch the games, I think it will probably be you!” She said that would be great and thanked me. The director of operations gave me a USL ball to take home for my service. I had a flashback and realized I’ve never owned a regulation soccer ball before.

I had driven here from the MLS Toronto FC vs. Houston Dynamo game in downtown Toronto which had just ended after 3:00pm. It had taken 45 minutes just to get out of the parking lot, through a few streets and onto the expressway away from there. I got a break as the Lady Lynx game had been rescheduled to 5:00pm otherwise I would have missed the first 15 minutes.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Archived