CONCACAF tightens stadium standards

CONCACAF tightens stadium standards

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2008/11/07/7342601-ap.html

NEW YORK - CONCACAF Champions League clubs without a suitable stadium must fix it or find another in their country or risk being replaced for next year's tournament.

Calling this year's inaugural league a success, the executive committee of the North, Central American and Caribbean confederation decided on Friday to tighten venue standards after allowing some teams to host games without adequate power supply, floodlighting or locker rooms.

The committee also ruled on how to replace disqualified teams.

If it's one of the three Caribbean teams advancing from a qualifying tournament, then the fourth-place finisher would be promoted. If any of the 12 qualified Central American teams are precluded, it would be supplanted by a club from Honduras based on results from this year's Champions League.

The group stage will be completed on Nov. 26, followed by a draw on Dec. 10 for February's quarter-final, when the four group winners will be paired against the group runners-up.

Mmmmm, I'm usually impressed by your posts Grizzly, but it looks like you're not perfect :D. It's already in the 'Big O' thread:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17977&whichpage=2

AP's article basically resumes the press release of the CONCACRAP administration on their website.

Did your mother ever tell you to read every post before posting something ? [8)]

Wow. When I'll say to my friends I was faster than Grizzly on some news... [8D]

:D:D:D

Seriously, I feel bad to beat you up like this, being a rookie here... [:I]

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

Mmmmm, I'm usually impressed by your posts Grizzly, but it looks like you're not perfect :D. It's already in the 'Big O' thread:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17977&whichpage=2

AP's article basically resumes the press release of the CONCACRAP administration on their website.

Did your mother ever tell you to read every post before posting something ? [8)]

Wow. When I'll say to my friends I was faster than Grizzly on some news... [8D]

:D:D:D

Seriously, I feel bad to beat you up like this, being a rookie here... [:I]

Well as David Letterman said to Billy Idol after the latter bragged about how cool it was that some drug dealers were selling cocaine under the brand name, "White Wedding", "You must be a very proud young man!";)

Guest Jeffery S.

Now Concacaf has decided to deny the story, but we don't know if if they are just responding to criticism or if AP really did screw up. My guess is the former:

This story came out of AP just after 5 PM EST on the 10th:

Correction: CONCACAF venues story

2 hours, 3 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—In a Nov. 7 story about venues for next year’s CONCACAF Champions League, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the executive committee of the North, Central American and Caribbean confederation decided to tighten venue standards after allowing some teams to host games this season without adequate power supply, floodlighting or locker rooms. Instead, clubs were allowed to move CONCACAF games to other stadiums in their region this season if they did not have adequate facilities.

Yeah, they changed their press release on their site:

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4514

So it will be possible for them to play outside their home venue, but it must be IN THEIR COUNTRY, not simply in the region:

NEW YORK – The initial success of the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League led the confederation’s Executive Committee on Friday to require teams participating in next year’s tournament to find a suitable stadium within its own country or risk being replaced.

The seven-member board led by President Jack A. Warner agreed to tighten the stadium standards after allowing teams in this year’s inaugural tournament to play its home games within its region if its regular home venue did not have adequate facilities such as power supply, floodlighting and locker rooms.

Archived