Across the Pond the threat come'th?

CoachRich

I'm curious as to how others see the growth of Women's Pro soccer in Europe & how it will impact the North American (NA) AM/Pro-AM leagues, NCAA & NT's.

I've supplied some links on The FA WP

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/TheFAWomensCup/

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/PremierLeague/

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/PremierLeagueCup/

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/TheFAWomensShield/

W/ the growth & money for Women's soccer in Europe, will it be the next choice for players from NA who are seeking the Pro game that brings $ & development?

Will the signing of Lorrie Fair this Feb 2008 open the doors for NA Player to the Womens Premier League?

Will NA players bypass NCAA to go full Pro in Europe & or put a balanced value in sport & education? CA & SA players are already overseas?

Will the Women's Pro League's stretch the CSA WP $ so the WP NT cost becomes demanding like the MP NT?

Just in passing

Women's football is the fastest growing sport in England right now. With England hosting the Euro 2005 and the success at the 2007 WC team. The sport is slowly becoming successful and popular with the fans. I can remember a few American and Canadian players at various skill levels playing in the English Women's Premier League.

I would still think that it would be few years before the English Premier League was at the same level as Germany and Sweden but it is very possible.

CoachRich. Great thread.

I think that the development of the leagues in Europe are going to play a major role in the top players from Europe not coming to the US for the WPS like they did for the WUSA. Unfortunately for the WPS, leagues in countries like Sweden, Norway, Germany etc have had 5 + years to develop financially and players such as the Martas are already locked into very comfortable contracts with clubs able to provide a professional environment. Will be interesting to see how it develops and how successful the WPS will be and the kind of players it will attract.

It was only a matter of time before the Europeans began to take advantage of their existing infrastructure and focus on women's football. Aside from facilities, the massive advantage they have is team staff - they have people in place that have a reasonable understanding of player development best practices.

I have heard that the money in Norway and Sweden is not that great. Top players do well, but the drop off is very steep, and a lot of very good players just get their expenses covered.

On the other hand, WUSA went insane with spending, which unfortunately has set expectations high for WPS can achieve. It will be interesting to see what kind of players they get, and how many of our women sign on.

Things are improving in England, but I think chauvinistic attitudes stll run pretty deep over there. But you never know, a breakthrough could be on the horizon.

^ As you pointed out in another thread, the other countries have a soccer culture. I agree that is a big component to their success & something we lack in NA. It's an advantage to them in building out their women's programs. One only has to look at the fan attendance at their cup games.

Outside of NA they have the culture, infrastructue, development model, a growing high caliber of player, access to $ & a huge marketplace in a small geo-footprint. They will soon have the momentum to attract the NA women player pool. The draw for NA women players overseas will be the same as the men. Only factors that could protect the NA women's market is WPS taking US players first, WPS paying well, a better development model for women to go from amateur to pro, how players fit in their university education/soccer & desires for a family.

I think it's only a matter of time & might happen sooner than the WPS might be comfortable w/. I hope not but I see the WPS being like the MLS & all those before it.

WPSL Plan -

After the dispersal of U.S. Women’s National Team and international players, WPS will hold a three to possibly six round player draft following the Olympics. In late 2008 and early 2009 further supplemental drafts will be conducted that will include players who have just completed their NCAA eligibility.

Archived