Pia Sundhage takes over U.S. women's team

CoachRich

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071113.wsptwo13/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Associated Press

November 13, 2007 at 7:38 PM EST

Pia Sundhage's immersion into U.S. culture introduced her to Americans' "Go for it" mentality.

But when it comes to soccer, her fellow Swedes' deliberateness might sometimes work best, the former international star said Tuesday after being hired as the U.S. women's national team coach.

American officials turned to a foreign coach for the first time after failing to win this year's World Cup. Sundhage, an assistant for China during the World Cup, is familiar with many of the U.S. players, having coached in the WUSA during the league's three-year existence.

She wants her new team to control the ball and dictate tempo more.

"It's very tight at the top level," Sundhage said. "I think it's about being comfortable with the ball. I don't think it's a big step, but a very important step."

The 47-year-old Sundhage (pronounced Soond-hahg-eh) replaces Greg Ryan. His surprising decision to switch goalies before the World Cup semifinals was followed by a lopsided loss, and his contract wasn't renewed.

Ryan was 45-1-9, with the lone loss resulting in the Americans failing to win his only major tournament. That reflects the talent — and the expectations — Sundhage inherits.

Her contract runs only through the 2008 Olympics, for which she will have fewer than nine months to prepare. U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said he hopes Sundhage remains the coach for a long time, but there was no sense in signing her past the Olympics because there won't be another major competition until the 2011 World Cup.

Sundhage plans to hold a minicamp in December. Her first games will come during the Four Nations tournament in China in January.

"We're quite confident that she's got the experience level and the knowledge of our American players and the setup here to do what needs to get done," Gulati said.

The hiring committee consisted of Gulati, U.S. Soccer secretary general Dan Flynn and retired star Mia Hamm. They didn't deem experience coaching in other countries a prerequisite, Gulati said.

"I think it's going to be a plus for us that she does bring — I'm not going to say a different vision, but a different background, a different experience level," Gulati said.

Three previous U.S. coaches were born outside the country — Mike Ryan (Ireland), Anson Dorrance (India) and Greg Ryan (Germany) — but they were all schooled in American soccer.

The U.S. captain, Kristine Lilly, has firsthand knowledge of Sundhage's coaching style. She played for her on WUSA's Boston Breakers in 2003, when Sundhage earned the league's coach of the year honours after leading the team to its first playoff appearance.

Lilly called Sundhage's joy for the sport "contagious" and said the coach excelled at helping players understand the importance of mastering the little things.

"She's pretty open," Lilly said. "She's approachable. I think that's going to be good for the players. She's honest."

Sundhage indicated goalie Hope Solo would remain on the team. Solo was dismissed after ripping Ryan for replacing her with veteran Briana Scurry at the World Cup, though she was later added back to the roster.

"Hope is a good goalkeeper," Sundhage said.

Sundhage is so popular in her country that her image appeared on a postage stamp in the mid-1980s. The longtime Swedish captain played in 146 international games and scored 71 goals. In 2000, she finished sixth in voting for FIFA Women's Player of the Century.

Sundhage becomes the sixth coach in the U.S. team's history and the second woman. April Heinrichs led the squad from 2000-05 and won the 2004 Olympics.

Sundhage served as a scout for the United States during those Olympics. She was an assistant for WUSA's Philadelphia Charge in 2001 and 2002 before taking over the Breakers.

She said she believed that the Americans are technically sound enough to control the ball the way she hopes they will.

"It's about expectations," Sundhage said. "That's my experience."

So the US coach benchs the keeper the team loses, the Federation does a review and cans the coach for losing and making a critically bad decision that led to public failure and humiliation.. and now they go out an hire a new Coach reaching out of the standard format of males coaches to find a female coach.

mmmmm I guess the silence from the usual suspects means they just dont get the CSA should have done the same with our failure of National Coach...

Ah well plus ca change..I think it will be interesting when Quebec says hey.. we can pull out..and Canada the rump ..of the CSA ends up ranking lower the Quebec in Womens soccer.

And yes to the usual suspects, you dont think it can happen .. but it can and may well ...when the Quebec districts figure out the level of disfuncition over the next year with a Quebec based President another province will demand reform.. along with Ontario.

Good luck the the Americans for making decisons.. oh wait you think the BC boys can make decisions mmm seems you have lost the chance at MLS and Montreal is going to eclipse Vancouver given the failure Vancover to ... build a stadia.

Archived