AvroArrow

I pulled these stats off of a soccer site for the past season:

Dundee United

Appearances: 29(12)

Goals: 5

Yellow Cards: 2

Red Cards: 0

Minutes on Pitch: 2615

Now since he's from Trinadad and Tobago, I'm assuming he'd fill one of the foreign slots on TFC's roster (and I'll admit I don't fully understand the MLS's roster rules).

Does anyone know any details on this player? How good is he? Is it worth using a foreign spot on the TFC roster to essentially sign a forward to come off of the bench?

Trinidad & Tobago Star Joining MLS

http://www.dundeeunited.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=69745

Trinidad & Tobago international Colin Samuel looks set for a move to Canada, to join Maurice Johnston`s MLS league side Toronto FC.

Since being released by Dundee United at the end of the current season, Samuel had been linked with Scottish Premier League sides Falkirk and Motherwell, but is supposedly keen on a move to a sunnier climate.

Toronto FC became the 13th Major League Soccer team in October 2005, the first club in the league from outside of the United States.

The play in red and white, representing the colours of the Canadian flag and play in the 'Eastern League` against sides like Chicago Fire, D.C. United, Kansas City Wizards and the New York Red Bulls.

"Collin Samuel is someone who is like Jeff Cunningham: he's strong, he's quick and he's someone I liked two years ago,' said Toronto boss Mo Johnston.

'He's someone that guys in this league won't like playing against - will it happen? Who knows?'

"I want us challenging for trophies. I want this being a team that people don't want to play against."

Samuel has been training with Toronto FC this week, with the intention of winning a permanent deal.

He was hoping to sign for Mo Johnston`s side last month, but was unable to secure a visa - though that has now been sorted.

'We were originally told by Toronto that because Collin was allowed to live and work in this country that he would be regarded as a British citizen by the Canadian authorities,' said Samuel's agent, Raymond Sparkes.

"However, that turned out not to be the case and Collin has had to return home to Trinidad in order to apply for a visa from there."

'We also had to produce two letters of invitation from Toronto FC to prove that they were interested in signing Collin."

"We seem to be at the end of that process now and we are expecting the thumbs-up for his visa.'

BobbyMcMahon's posts about:

Collin Samuel

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/BobbyMcMahon/Collin_Samuel/55040

.....Scouting notes

Toronto FC has had Trinidad and Tobago forward Collin Samuel on trial this past week. While with Falkirk, Samuel was linked with a move to Everton of the Barclay’s Premiership. However, his form dipped and he was transfered to Dundee United (coincidentally a former team of Ronnie O'Brien). Ian McCall who had signed Samuel for Falkirk was the man responsible for taking him to Tannadice.

However, McCall was subsequently sacked. When Samuel’s contract was up for renewal at the end of this past season United offered him a less lucrative deal and Samuel opted to become a free-agent. A life-long Dundee United fan described Collin Samuel to me as an enigma (in Scotland that describes someone who once played well and everyone is waiting for it to happen again!) who on his day can be a world beater but who is wildly inconsistent.

Great speed but Samuel can suffer through stretches of games when he is completely anonymous. With Toronto FC due to lose players to the Canadian Under-20 side we will find out this week whether or not Coach Maurice Johnston offers Samuel a contract.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070625.wspttfc25/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

The G&M reports that Samuel has signed. He sounds a similar player to Cunningham - speedy but has trouble finishing.

Those two are meant to compete to pair up with Dichio, but two speedsters does open up the possibility of a tactic based around a strong centre midfield presence creating a lot of through balls, weaker on the wings, fewer crosses.

Is Ibrahim officially released? We never got to see him.

Archived