Danny Dichio suffers ankle sprain

georg

Hear about it on Fox Canada this morning and now on CBC...

18/06/2007 12:16:02 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto FC forward Danny Dichio has been diagnosed with a sprained ankle after having an X-ray on Monday.

Forward Danny Dichio, left, leads Toronto FC with four goals this season.

(Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

Dichio suffered the injury in the 33rd minute of Sunday's 4-0 win over FC Dallas.

After scoring in the 25th minute to give Toronto a 2-0 lead, Dichio hurt his left ankle in a collision with a Dallas player.

He headed to the sidelines briefly to receive treatment from the club trainer before returning to the field, but the striker was clearly favouring his left leg, and coach Mo Johnston replaced him for the second half with Toronto native Andrea Lombardo.

"I went up for a ball and as I came down I landed on my left foot and rolled over on the ankle. There might be a crack in it in the bottom of my foot or ligament damage," said Dichio, who talked to reporters after the game with his left ankle heavily taped.

Johnston was worried that his big forward could be facing a lengthy absence from the team, but it appears as though the injury is as not as bad as originally thought.

Dichio is still questionable for Saturday's road game against the New England Revolution. "Obviously we're very happy that the X-rays were negative and nothing was broken," said Johnston.

"Danny's a very big part of this team, and we'll be doing everything to make sure he's taking care and getting the right treatment and hopefully he'll be ready to play on Saturday."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2007 Bell Canada, Microsoft Corporation and/or their contributors. All rights reserved. Terms of Use Advertise Privacy Statement About Us

Archived