(Lack of) MLS on Canadian TV?

Is it just me, or is it impossible to see any MLS games on Canadian digital/satellite providers this season?

Judging by what I saw on the MLS website, the overwhelming majority of their telecasts are on their Direct Kick channel (with three U.S. carriers) or on ESPN2, which, to my knowledge isn't available on any licensed Canadian carriers.

I know CanWest Global has basically gutted FSW's programming and the chances of any games showing up there are slim and none, but you'd think the MLS would want to cultivate some sort of Canadian audience prior to Toronto FC's launch....

Maybe it's not worth the effort... I'd bet that dealing with the CRTC would be quite the difficult task and finding a broadcaster not that easy. All that trouble for a little exposure may have been deemed too much. As well, what if the games got crappy ratings? That might scare possible investors so maybe it's better to wait for a guaranteed audience. I don't have FSW but can someone tell me how Global gutted their programming?

quote:Originally posted by 403 Addick

I don't have FSW but can someone tell me how Global gutted their programming?

This thread explains a bit, and includes an email from a Global staffer:

http://www.livesoccertv.com/forums/about218.html

As well, just personal observation. They used to have Dutch Eredivisie a couple years ago — not anymore. Ninety per cent of their EPL stuff is repeats and no USL telecasts so far this year, though if I remember correctly they usually have a slate of USL games later on in the season....

Archived