Soccer draft question

Elias

Can MLS, USL, CPSL all draft the same player from lets say the university ranks?

Do they have agreements? If yes, would that not be illegal (collusion or monopolistic practises or something)? If no, so I guess a player goes wherever he wants?

Lets say a player goes through the Lynx Super-Y system. Do the Lynx own him? Or can a team from MLS draft him with no compensation? Do PDL players who go to university go back to the same PDL team? Or are they all on just one-year contracts?

Basically, what incentive exists for professional clubs to develop youth players?

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Can MLS, USL, CPSL all draft the same player from lets say the university ranks?

Yup, there's always a bit of overlap between MLS and USL drafts. I dont think there is a CPSL draft.

Do they have agreements? If yes, would that not be illegal (collusion or monopolistic practises or something)? If no, so I guess a player goes wherever he wants?

There are no agreements on this whatsoever. Its all in the players hands.

Lets say a player goes through the Lynx Super-Y system. Do the Lynx own him? Or can a team from MLS draft him with no compensation? Do PDL players who go to university go back to the same PDL team? Or are they all on just one-year contracts?

Basically, what incentive exists for professional clubs to develop youth players?

Thats the big thing, right now there really isn't much incentive outside of the altruistic. Of course, in the USL, the draft is almost meaningless, so a hometown player is typically more likely to sign with a local team for cost issues. So the Lynx producing a better quality local player will help to a certain degree. Whether thats the point of their Y League program is another thing entirely.

Archived