Best league for developing Canada's players

nedved9

I like someone's opinion,If I were a 17 year old Canadian Soccer player and I have offers from many leagues in Europe, and the Mls, which would be the best league for me to go, for developing, and getting that all important playing time. For me I think it is Germany, With guys like Deguzman, Staltiere, and Hargraves, coming out of there, Maybe that is the best. Or maybe I am wrong, Someone tell me.

I don't know about "leagues" but I'd advise a kid to look at clubs. Holland, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, England and even Scandinavian countries have done all right by Canadian players. I'd make sure to maybe get the kid a reputable agent who knows a bit about the setup at different clubs all over europe. I'm not sure if a single country does a better job at developing players, especially when your thinking top flight players. But there are certainly clubs in many football nations that have great track records.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Probably Germany, as the Premiership is more about Transfers than Youth Development.

The problem for me with Germany is that it teaches competitive football but not skills. Germans are not great ball handlers, at least compared to many other nations theoretically inferior. And this is where Canadians need to learn as well.

Though I will say I like the lower league set-up with the "Amateur" teams playing in 3rd tier vs. adult pros sides.

I think the best way to go is to a second tier league like France, Holland, Greece, where there is room to grow. As teams from those countries tend to sell their top players, they tend to rely on younger faces to fill squads, even in top flight. This is what we have seen with Jonathan de Guzman at Feyenoord, he has walked in early to a big club, something you'd be hard pressed to see in stronger leagues.

I agree with James. It is better to look at clubs rather than leagues. For a 17 year old, it is very important to look at the total situation. A learning environment is one that feels comfortable and challenging at the same time. Cultural fit as well as the personality fit of the coaches are equality important as the club name. Keep in mind that big clubs like Chelsea and Man U have developed some great players but if you throw in 100 or so young players of superior talent, you are likely to get a few that survive.

Dutch teams tend to be very good at creating a learning environment. The Scandanavians too. There sre good clubs in every country. My key point is to make sure that the club fits the young player's personality. As for a big club versus a small club, the right place depends on the player and their need for personalized support.

Like in NCAA basketball, some college players see Bobby Knight as a god and others would see him as the devil himself. If the challenge of getting noticed among a hundred quality players is the right motivation, a big club may be the right place. On the other hand, if the confidence from being one of the best players in the club's age group helps the player, a smaller club might be better.

Archived