Doyle, you're ma boy for Northern League

argh1

I understand Calgary Vipers had a slow start with ownership issues and the Cracker-Cats had to adjust folk to Indy Ball. But do you see any improvement coming in next years attendance in Alberta.

Vipers drew about 1200 a game (and yes the Canon never really drew that well.....my home town senior team gets a 1000 and a couple of times this year almost 2000 in an all bleacher almost no extras venue) and the Cracker-Cats drew about 2400. But .....like c'mon Winnipeg still draws almost 7,000 and Les Capitals de Québec get 3500. So what I'm asking is...will indy ball survive in Alberta? What's the rumour mill got?

• 2 weeks later...

There was a feud early in the year betwenn Mel Kowalchuck and Dan Orlich on how the Cracker Cats should be run. Kowalchuck left shortly after but the Cats did have a good year on the field as they finshed the season just a couple of games below 500.

Funny that the guy doing all the reporting for the Sun was Scott Zerr. Yes, the same guy who covered the Aviators last summer.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

A huge shakeup has taken place as St. Paul, Sioux Falls, and Lincoln and leaving to form a new professional league for 2006.

No word on how this will affect the Canadian teams.

Sioux City has left now as well. Leaving Northern League with eight teams.

Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Fargo, Gary, Joliet, Kansas City and Schaumburg. I guess well see what happens. Fingers crossed for Canadian teams finding a strong league to play in.

Archived