If you think Canada has suffered from bad Refs [R]

Desigol

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Ireland had to put up with an Israeli Goalie who delibrately hit Andy O'Brien, and O'Brien was the one who was Sent Off. [V]

The ref erred, and FIFA should at least free him of the card. But I don't think that the play was fundamental for the final result, which had more to do with Ireland losing control of the game I'd say.

quote:Originally posted by canso

What happened to the Uzbeks?

a shock 1 nil lead into time added on, the koreans equallized on the most offside play ever seen. not on off side run, mind you, that leaves room for debate, but, rather, a player (Gim Sang Sik - if its important) standing beside the goal with heals in touch, not moving, with the play developing about five meters infront of goal (so he is the last man including the keeper) - a shot comes in from about 10 meters and he plays it across goal where it is put in by wunderkind, and Ian Brown haircut sporter, Park Jo(Cho) Sung for a share of the points and 19 year old debutant Park's, first senior int goal. Uzbec could have had a shout at advancement if the 3 points had stood (they do however have the abysmal Kuwaties yet to play, but still)This whole round of asian quallifiers has been a bad joke on that 4.5 business.

I saw that Korean goal on FSWR, but they made no comment about a possible offside - and I couldn't figure out what I was missing.

But are you sure that call was any more fortunate that the calls that went in South Korea's favour against Spain in WC2002? Or Italy? :)

to be honest, I don't even notice them (the out of some where?? calls) at home matches any more. In fact, I was at an under 20 match the week before last, and the coach of Morocco even pulled his team off the pitch because it was so bad (they eventually negotiated with his assistant (as he was tossed) to get the team back on after about 7-8 mins, but he took a seat in the stand just infront of us and never clamed down).

P.s. don't forget some of the doozies in the Portugal match

-to be fair the officiating was poor all around - just ask the americans about hugh dallas during the germany quarter final

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

How about Bosnia?

Spain scored the tying goal in the 6th minute of injury time today in Valencia.

I don't feel so sorry about Spain getting cheated vs Korea in 2002 right now.

Spain had 60% possession, about 10 great chances on goal, were given 25 corner kicks. The Bosnians scored on a defensive clearing gone bad that put their striker in alone, first half, then mostly wasted time for an hour. Just for dumbs cards (deliberately kicking the ball away, brutal tackles, keeper stalling by doing housekeeping), changes and medical staff on the field 6 minutes was perfectly fair, and the goal, in the last seconds, perfectly legal.

Spain probably deserved to win 3-0, but the striking is not on its game; so the result was fair, but not a good reflection of the game at all.

Whoa, way too many results posted in this thread. One of the reasons I sticky all the WCQ threads every times matches come around is to avoid this type of thing because I know people want to talk about them. But instead of using those threads people just create new ones and completely bypass what I'm trying to do. Grr.

Archived