June 5th W-League Toronto vs Vermont

Result of the Sunday June 5, 2005 W-League game between Toronto Lady Lynx and Vermont Lady Voltage played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 4:00pm.

34 min...Lady Lynx Yuiko Konno GOAL...VLV goalie Kristin Luckenbill takes back pass from defender just wide of right post and Konno checks her off ball and walks in to blast 1 yarder into open net.

38 min...Lady Lynx Yuiko Konno GOAL...LL Amanda Cicchini passes short kick she'd intercepted from defender. Konno runs up middle and 12 yard shot slid into right corner of net.

Final Score:..........Toronto Lady

Lynx............2.............Vermont Lady Voltage............0............

Attendance wasn't announced on this extremely hot and humid day with a bright sun but I'd estimate it was about 500. I was disappointed after the last game that I thought it would go upwards from the 900 I estimated at the last game.

Stacey Van Boxmeer earned the shutout for the Lady Lynx and had to be sharp and lucky if more of the Lady Voltage shots were on target from short range, they could have easily have had a tie or win.

I'd expect the Lady Voltage to tire late in the game because they only brought three substitutes and defender Jennifer Higgins was on crutches on the bench. After the game she and the team therapist said she'd just had surgery but came on the road trip because the league requires a minimum of three substitutes be brought for each game. That’s the old problem the Toronto Inferno used to have.

Let’s hope the Lady Lynx can always find enough players to make the upcoming road trips.

The Voltage looked much improved from their visit here for the Lady Lynx first league game on May 15th. They had more shots and they had more ball possession. Defender Michelle Barr again looked like the best player and gradually moved up to midfielder as the team got desperate to score. Midfielder Marie-Michel Bouchard was allowed to take many of the corner kicks and free kicks this game. Voltage goalie Kristin Luckenbill was actually very sharp except for that one error which resulted in a goal.

The Lady Lynx seemed to play more of the long ball and kick'n'run for long stretches of the game. They didn't however go into a defensive shell to hold the lead in the second half and in fact that's when some of their best chances came as the Lady Voltage pressed to get back into the game. Winning the game outright in regulation time this visit stopped 20 minutes of extra work on this extremely hot day.

The Lady Lynx record now goes to a perfect 4-0. Their next game is against Sudbury Canadians on Wednesday June 8th at 11:00am for a school day game. I wonder if the team can be as organized and get the numbers similar to the Lynx midday game last Tuesday.

Men's coach Hubert Busby Jr stopped by the press box during the game. Another tough game last night leaves the Lynx without a win this season in eleven games. The penalty kick call was brutal said Busby but he doesn't want to give that one play as an excuse for losing. He said Pierre Cantave was a first year referee and the Montreal Impact would never be subject to putting up with him. He was not alone in these thoughts. (I've added some comments to last night's game report on my web page). Busby said the revolving door of players has been put to an end as the Lynx will settle on who they have now and wait for some of their guys to get back from injury. It is certain that imports Winston Griffiths, Conrad Smith, and non-import--often injured Sean Faria are no longer with the team.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Archived