Guide to bulding stadia in Canada : Blackbaud?

DoyleG

Going through some old PM's on BigSoccer and found one in which I had asked Battery support Mickey Mouse about the cost of Blackbaud Stadium.

quote:It was around $6M US to get it built.

here is a link to a .pdf file

www.swasc.com/pdf/blackbaud_stadium.pdf

And worth every penny. Blackbaud software has a 10 year contract that pays $200,000 a year for naming rights (total $2 million US) as well as being able to host big events like US men's and women's matches, MLS college soccer tournaments, High-school soccer, exhibitions and before it folded WUSA matches. There was even had a concert this year with aroudn 6,000 people.

The sorces of income expand tremendously with owning your own stadium.

Mikey

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Going through some old PM's on BigSoccer and found one in which I had asked Battery support Mickey Mouse about the cost of Blackbaud Stadium.

You also have to pay what is generally known as a mortgage, taxes, upkeep and get this, everytime a lightbulb needs to be changed, you have pay for it and someone to do it.

That's most MLB and NFL teams hookwink the locals into building them stadiums and allowing it to be "tax free".

Considering feildturf is now at 2.1 million(St Johns Newfoundland thread)and a decent grass feild will run you about 200K to install and 50K a year in upkeep.....

In Ottawa they sold the rights to the Baseball stadium for I think 1 million over 10 years. Jetform was sold to Adobe and Abode cancelled the deal 2 years in. 6 years after that it still has no corporate name.

SSS won't solve any of the problems facing pro soccer in Canada. And it certainly won't put asses in the seat. It doesn't even work with baseball anymore even. The Pirates are 2 years into their new home and season tickets fell by HALF...bottom line the Pirates still suck.

Winning and a quality product does that. Re: Montreal Vancouver. Crap products RE: Edmonton, Calgary, CSL 1, CPSL will always fail even if they had Olf Trafford as a home.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I believe that more adequate grounds are needed for the chance of pro soccer to hold root. For any league with a new club, it is unlikely to expect 8000 to show up game in-game out. I'm not necessarily saying that Canada needs 8 new SSS with a min capacity of 10000 each. I do believe that Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Quebec City could do well to have a ground that holds 4000 minimum seated and feels like a stadium (two grandstands on each side of the field). Sure, there are facilities in place that are larger, but aren't necessarily 'soccer friendly' grounds.

Archived