Youth Development Progress in BC

Richard

Finally there seems to be some rationalisation in youth elite player development in British Columbia with Whitecaps and B.C. Soccer forming a partnership to streamline youth development in the province. The SYL clubs, provincial allstar and Intra Provincial League programs will be cooperating across the province in a pyramid of play style program.

http://www.tricitynews.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=74&cat=40&id=351574&more=

Richard, it sounds good, but will it work or is it just good PR.

The Whitecaps involvement is promising, provided that the Whitecaps sign the best young palyers to long term contracts, so they can develop the players further and then sell them to big European clubs.

Unless the Whitecaps are serious about player development for profit, then their involvement is only half hearted. I hope they won't be satisfied with just the weekend revenue they get from kids who attend their weekend academy.

Since the BCSA still has the same full time paid coaches, except for Possee, we shouldn't expect better results from the BCSA in the future than we have seen in the past.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Richard, it sounds good, but will it work or is it just good PR.

I don't know - none of us does - but it is good to see something happening in the way of apparent progress. I am personally willing to give the BCSA and Whitecaps the benefit of the doubt for now, support the noble objective and wait to see what happens before cynically condemning it all at the outset as nothing more than a Whitecaps PR move.

I don't accept that the Whitecaps don't need this kind of PR. The club expends a lot of effort cultivating young soccer fans in the hope the kids will make their parents bring them to games. Getting involved with youth player development like any other community invlovement is part of the process of putting bums in seats at games. Whitecaps FC is a business after all, that's what pro sports is all about and I am not knocking them for it.

Archived