All-Canadian CPSL: East and West

Guys, I am now starting to regret that an all Canadian CPSL from East to West was never accomplished. I will never forget that over 2-year ago CPSL President Vince Ursini fought so hard to amalgamate the CPSL into an Eastern and Western conference. We really need such a system. I am wondering if Ursini and other provincial leagues have any plans to amalgamate any time soon???

Luis_R: The amalgamation of semi-pro teams into such a system would be a huge start at a support system for the "A" League teams or higher. Our best players will still be going to wherever serious money pays them a living and we'll drag them back for World Cup or Team Canada for the forseable future.

The costs to fund a CPSL team are one tenth those for a "A" League club and the promotion and managing in a professional sense of such leagues and teams would go a long way in preparing players, teams and leagues for the jump to a higher level play. This is where the fan base has to be made.

Regional affiliates of the CPSL system might go a long way in the advancement of an all-Canadian pro league.

But hasn't this been beaten to death?

JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

There have been discussions betwen the CPSL and the PCSL on more than one occasion about some form of collaboration. Indeed Vince Ursini visited Vancouver as the guest of the PCSL in 2002 and tried very hard to have the PCSL join as a western division of the CPSL. Unfortunately the two leagues operate on very different business models and such a merger was simply not practical.

Archived