Anthems, flags, kids ticket prices at Lynx games

National anthems: Since it seems to concern so many people who live so far away from Toronto. The order of national anthems [[June 9]] was :

played at the Lynx game was First Puerto Rican anthem on CD from the press box, next American anthem sung by a local children's choir, and finally the Canadian national anthem played instrumentally by some band of 12 or 13 year olds. The conductor/teacher turned to the crowd about 15 seconds in and gestered and suddenly there were the 2000 fans in the grandstand singing along.

Flags were same position, USA and Puerto Rican on east side, Canadian flag on the north end on the higher pole.

So much for the kids not paying to get in. The cut rate price for tickets is $5.00 for the kids. Heard that from the Lynx. A teacher I asked said that translated for her class as $7.00 per kid as it was $2.00 added for each kid to hire the school bus from the board.

Since the co-owner of the team is a former school teacher, I'd assume this is one of the reasons that she reaches out to the education community and sends Lynx players on countless speaking engagements and coaching clinics at schools.

Originally posted by JayWay - 06/09/2004 : 16:30:54</u>

Thanks for the follow up, Robin.

It's a good thing I held off on the e-mail as this seems to be a mix up.

I'm still not thrilled that they chose to "honour the Latin community" on a day that is usually reserved for WW2 Vets, but I suppose it's not worth worrying about.

As for that other piece of news [[rumours of Belize dropping out]] - I'm not saying a word...

Ooh. An advantage to playing the game midday is that CFTO made it the lead off story on their 6:30pm Sports segment. It makes sense because follow up stories would be about last night's baseball and basketball stories which folks could say they saw already in the 11:30pm sports news. Of course by tonight's 11:30pm sportscast, the Lynx story could be pushed aside by 15 baseball games.

Lance Brown apologizes for them not giving more soccer coverage! Got that on tape. Hope someone

could make a WAV file of that.

I got two polite replies from Nicole Hartrell who didn't seem concerned that I live so far away from Toronto.

Sorry for showing concern for the Canadian anthem not being played last Rocket Robin. I may live far away from Toronto but last time I checked it was still part of Canada, therefore I am still allowed to show concern that the Canadian anthem was not played last.

Basically, in her first email she told me that they always played the Canadian anthem last, then responding to my second email where I mentioned that they didn't she said that she was suprised when she heard the Canadian anthem not being played last.

Can't really recall the rest, I've been having massive computer problems the last week and lost all my emails (and everthing else). Been logging in on a $50 laptop most of the time.

Archived