Hibs boss to be Plymouth's (and Bents) new manager

Grizzly

Williamson set for Plymouth

Williamson questioned Hibs' desire to keep him

Hibernian boss Bobby Williamson is expected to be appointed Plymouth manager on Monday.

Williamson refused to comment on renewed media speculation this morning, but BBC Sport believes that the two clubs are discussing compensation.

However, Argyle chairman Paul Stapleton insisted: "Nothing is decided and the board will meet again today. We had a phone call today from a new candidate.

"Someone could be too dear for us, or his family might not want to come."

Stapleton thought it would be disrespectful, if they had chosen Williamson, to make an announcement before the Scottish Premier League club's meeting with Dundee.

The sacking by Walsall of Colin Lee after he had attended an interview with the English Second Division leaders appears now to have been an unfortunate diversion.

I'm sure the fans will be disappointed, but I was put in a position where I was asked to speak to Plymouth and I spoke to them

Bobby Williamson

"I feel sorry for Colin Lee," said Stapleton. "He is a good guy and has been treated shabbily by Walsall."

Williamson remains favourite and Inverness Caledonian Thistle's John Robertson, Clyde's Alan Kernaghan, Motherwell's Terry Butcher and Livingston's Davie Hay are already being tipped as candidates as his replacement.

Indications suggested that Williamson had been at the top of Plymouth's shortlist, having been recommended by Paul Sturrock following the former Dundee United boss's move to Southampton in March.

Williamson had insisted all week that he did not want to leave Easter Road but stressed: "It may be an indication that Hibs are prepared to let me go that they let me speak to them."

Hibs interest Robertson

However, he pointed out that Hibs' decision earlier in the season to reduce his wages and tear up his five-year contract was a factor in his thinking.

"You could say that talking to them means I am interested, but you can look at it the other way, the club allowed me to go and speak to them," he said.

"But that's football and the next move is up to Plymouth and Hibs."

Williamson has had an uneasy relationship with the Hibs fans, some being unforgiving of him coming from the west coast of Scotland and being a former Rangers player.

So Colin Lee is not taking over at Plymouth?

If thats the case looks like he got sacked for nothing.

This could be bd for al parties because it could cost Walsall their Division 1 status. Oh well it helps out Derby. Walsall got trounced

5-0 by Norwich. Might have happened regardless, Hopefully morale is low and they dont win another game for Derby's sake.

Williamson takes Argyle job

Williamson questioned Hibs' desire to keep him

Bobby Williamson has confirmed he is taking over as boss of Division Two high-flyers Plymouth Argyle.

The 42-year-old former Hibernian chief was unveiled on Tuesday as the successor to Paul Sturrock who is now boss of Southampton.

"It's a great place to be," Williamson told the club's official website,

"It was a big decision to leave Hibernian, but this is a club which is moving forward. We are on the verge of promotion."

Plymouth will be promoted to Division One if they beat QPR at home on Saturday.

"I've been keeping an eye on things down here and been very envious of what Paul (Sturrock) has achieved, and I'm delighted to be here," added Williamson.

"I spoke to the board last week and I was very impressed with what they had to tell me, so it wasn't so difficult to make the journey from north of the border to south."

Sturrock left Home Park in March to join Southampton and Williamson has been linked with the vacancy ever since.

Hibs interest Robertson

Inverness Caledonian Thistle's John Robertson, Clyde's Alan Kernaghan, Motherwell's Terry Butcher and Livingston's Davie Hay are already being tipped as candidates as Williamson's replacement.

Williamson was reportedly recommended by Sturrock following the former Dundee United boss's move to Southampton in March.

The Hibs boss insisted all week that he did not want to leave Easter Road but stressed: "It may be an indication that Hibs are prepared to let me go that they let me speak to them."

He pointed out that Hibs' decision earlier in the season to reduce his wages and tear up his five-year contract was a factor in his thinking.

Argyle chairman Paul Stapleton did not announce Sturrock's successor immediately, and last week Colin Lee was sacked by Walsall after he attended an interview with Plymouth.

"I feel sorry for Colin Lee," said Stapleton. "He is a good guy and has been treated shabbily by Walsall."

Archived