Chicago Fire

SJ Earthquakes

Mexico (2 teams)</u>

Monterrey

Pachuca

UNCAF (3 teams)</u>

Deportivo Saprissa (CRC)

CSD Comunicaciones (GUA)

LD Alajuelense (CRC) or CSD Municipal (GUA)

- the Copa Uncaf third-place game is on sunday, Dec 21.

CFU (1 team)</u>

W Connection FC (T&T) or CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh (T&T)

- San Juan Jabloteh leads 2-1 after the 1st leg. The 2nd leg is on Dec 28.

Canada (0 teams)</u>

:(

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This is Concacaf's version of UEFA's Champions League (i think). Basically, the US and Mexico are awarded two spots because of their relative strength in our region. Then, the best Central American club teams (UNCAF), fight for 3 spots, and the best Carribean club teams (CFU), fight for 1 spot in the tournament. I think that's how it works. I guess the next round will comprise of 2 groups of 4 teams.

Yes, you are correct, except for the last sentence. There won't be two groups of four, instead it will be a knockout competition from this point (quarterfinals, semifinals, final).

For those asking about this competition, see http://www.rsssf.com/tablesc/ca1.html for a summary. One thing to note is that this competition varies a lot from year to year in terms of format, participants and interest. It really needs to stabilize in order to be taken more seriously. I think a guaranteed spot in a resurrected FIFA Club World Championship (of some form, as long as there's money) would force the issue.

Everyone keeps talking about the participation of Canadian clubs in this competition, but it is important to note that they would be required to play some matches outside the A-League season. I can't see that our clubs would be able to participate under these circumstances (for one thing, the players are scattered all over the place), and frankly I don't think they are at all interested at this time. I don't think the lack of a true national championship, which has often been blamed (at least implicitly), has anything to do with our clubs not participating.

For the record, Canadian clubs have entered the CONCACAF club championship three times, though only twice did they actually take the field:

1975 - Toronto Serbian White Eagles lost 3-1 on aggregate to Mexico's Monterrey, with the second leg at Exhibition Stadium abondoned in the second half due to a brawl

1976 - Toronto Italia defeated New York Inter-Giuliana 5-3 on aggregate but then withdrew before playing a match in the next round

1992 - Vancouver 86ers were to play against Hamilton International (Bermuda) but withdrew before playing a match

True, but if Canada really want to reach the next level we need to strength our league. Playing OUR regional championship with seriousness would be a start, otherwise we will always be a minnow on our Confederation, lets not talk about the world. What other country in the world, with a respectable pro teams (like I believe the A-league team are) can't play they own confederation tournaments? Even countries like Nicaragua or Dominican play the qualifications rounds for this competition.

Archived