Canadians abroad: November 28 - December 4, 2003

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

Emilio Bottiglieri started for Greenock Morton as they beat Hamilton in Scotland Div. 2 play. The team is well ahead in the league and a good bet for promotion even this early.

Tam Nsaliwa's Regensberg drew 3-3 with Duisberg in the German Cup, but lost on penalties, haven't seen if Tam played yet.

Tam played 120 minutes and was not one of the Regensburg PK takers (who missed 2 to give MSV Duisburg the win).

Paul Stalteri and Werder Bremen host Hertha Berlin tomorrow in the German FA Cup (DFB Pokal) looking for a spot in the last 8.

Huge upset today as a 3rd division club beat Bayer Leverkusen.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

Devos came on in the 46min of the game

Jason got a automatic red card for 'foul/abusive language'

It turns out he was actually sent off for giving a penalty away [8)] but it seems a case of mistaken identity. Another ref costs us a game:(. And they said they were better in the First Division.

quote:McCarthy said: “It was never a sending off. I have seen the video and I have asked the referee to have a look at it.

“If the decision is not rescinded then there is something seriously, seriously wrong in this game of football.

“The referee has made his decision and we have to live with it. The ref said Julio looked for the foul. The lad only took both of his legs but I am not going to say any more as I will only be in trouble and we are skint.

“But there again he has sent the wrong lad off for them which is a shame it has come to this. It was a good scrap, they made it hard for us and who knows what would have happened if both teams had had 11 players in the second half.”

Jewell thought only a case of mistaken identity could explain de Vos’ sending off.

He said: “We are all bemused when refs don’t get it right these days. I always thought he would even it out at some stage.

“But you had better ask Stevie Wonder – after all one player (De Vos) is six inches taller than the other (Breckin). I think there is a fair chance we will appeal.

“But that’s not the reason we didn’t win on the night. It wasn’t a great game between two honest teams and credit to Sunderland they kept going.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar played 90 in a Monday eve match with Benfica beating Rio Ave 2-0. Fernando got an average 5 rating along with a few other Benfica players, though most got a 6 from the abola.pt site.

The team is third in the league, 8 back of Porto but just one behind Sporting, with only 2 losses after 12 games.

Originally posted by Ed on the other forum : Dec 1, 2003, 9:42 PM</u>

Julian once again got the highest ratings for Hannover 96 (along with the two strikers) and is now tied for 14th overall among Bundesliga midfielders with the young Argentine D'Alessandro and mere percentage pts behind Ballack. Top ten is not out of the question if he continues to do well next week against promoted Eintracht Frankfurt.

Victor Oppong once again played 90 minutes in an Oberliga win for 1. FC Saarbruecken II on Saturday.

Dylan Hughes did not make an appearance for 1. FC Kaiserlautern's U19s on Sunday.

Originally posted by George - 12/05/2003 : 18:40:55</u>

"BURY'S Canadian U-23 international defender Justin Thompson scored twice as the Shakers' second string [reserves] defeated Wrexham 3-1 at the Racecourse Ground on Wednesday [December 3] evening."

See more: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1847

Radz comes in for Rooney in the 97th minute with Everton in the Carling Cup (Round of 16) away to Middlesbrough.

30 minutes of extra time ends at 0-0.

In penalties, Radz surprisingly does not take a kick, and Everton lose 5-4 and are out.

That wasn't very bright.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Radz comes in for Rooney in the 97th minute with Everton in the Carling Cup (Round of 16) away to Middlesbrough.

30 minutes of extra time ends at 0-0.

In penalties, Radz surprisingly does not take a kick, and Everton lose 5-4 and are out.

That wasn't very bright.

More League Cups, this time Scotland: McKenna comes on in m. 69 for Hearts, apparently in offensive tasks, and a late header almost breaks a scoreless tie but it tipped wide. But it is Dundee who break it in extra time to go into the CIS (League) Cup semis.

Guest Jeffery S.

Paul Stalteri got a full match, apparently in his familiar for Canada outside back position, as Werder Bremen whipped Hertha Berlin 6-1 in a German Pokal (Cup) game. The team is into the quarter finals, which are to be played in a single match in early February.

So I was a thinking...

The homepage 'Canada Ranking' needs updating - we're currently 87th, dropping 12 pts. And that doesn't include Ireland and Czech matches. But I'm off topic.

I was thinking...

How about a link up front directly to the most recent Exports list? Or, as we call in WFP, The Mother of all Lists. It runs in the paper with a Voyageurs banner and credit to Gian-Luca and crew.

At the first of every month I can send you a pdf version of Mother.

And as mentioned you might make good use of it by linking from the homepage to the pdf file.

What say ye?

Madman at the Helm

ps. couldn't find a way to attach it here.

Archived