Gold Cup Semifinal 2: Mexico vs. Costa Rica [R]

Reza

Organizers got what they wanted.

Had the match been scheduled to be played in Southern California or anywhere else in the States I would have expected that the US v. Mexico would have been the "dream final". However, since it will be in Azteca cannot do much better than Mexico-Brazil.

Not sure too many "gringos" would have ventured south to Mexico City.

Bob Mac

Edmonton

Had the match been scheduled to be played in Southern California or anywhere else in the States I would have expected that the US v. Mexico would have been the "dream final". However, since it will be in Azteca cannot do much better than Mexico-Brazil.

Bob Mac

Edmonton

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Bob Mac

Edmonton

I don't know about that. I imagine a lot of Mexicans were looking for some pay back for a 2-0 drubbing seen around the world last June.

Pardon the banana cream 3!

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Bob Mac

Edmonton

I don't know about that. I imagine a lot of Mexicans were looking for some pay back for a 2-0 drubbing seen around the world last June.

Pardon the banana cream 3!

It turns out that our role at the Gold Cup may still be worth something.

From CONCACAF:

"However, regulations for the tournament have always stated that an invited team, in this case Brazil, can not be official champions and thus: the USA still have a chance of winning within the following scenarios:

1) Mexico will be champions if they defeat Brazil

2) Mexico will be champions if they lose to Brazil AND if Costa Rica defeats the USA Saturday's third-place game at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida at 20:00

3) However --- if Mexico loses to Brazil and the USA defeats Costa Rica, then a play-off would be needed between Mexico and the USA, at a date to be determined, in order to produce a champion

Thus, not one but two games this week end will determine who plays in Germany in 2005."

This means that our win over Costa Rica now means that they have no chance at winning the Gold Cup, whereas their opponent in the third place game, the USA, are not yet fully eliminated. It's hardly a reassuring note, but the fact that we robbed the Ticos puts a loss on their record that they could rue at the end of the tournament.

Allez les rouges.

-------

"Liberty consists in the freedom to do everything which injures no one else; hence the exercise of the natural rights of each man has no limits except those which assure to the other members of the society the enjoyment of the same rights" (The Declaration of the Rights of Man - 1789)

This whole scenario further demonstrates the farce that is having invited teams from other Confederations at OUR regional championship.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

This whole scenario further demonstrates the farce that is having invited teams from other Confederations at OUR regional championship.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

This whole scenario demostrate that CONCACAF is a joke federation with a jerck as a president.

quote:Originally posted by Water

This means that our win over Costa Rica now means that they have no chance at winning the Gold Cup, whereas their opponent in the third place game, the USA, are not yet fully eliminated.

No, Costa Rica could still have won the Gold Cup had they managed to beat the US and also win in the final.

'Shawn' on the old board...

Archived