CPSL Week 10 (R)

Result of the CPSL game of Monday July 21, 2003 between North York Astros and Mississauga Olympians played at Esther Shiner Stadium in North York at 8:30pm.

19 min...Olympians Danny Gallagher GOAL...Gallagher finishes play with 20 yard shot from right to left side of net beating goalie Luciano Miranda.

43 min...Astros Francisco Dos Santos GOAL...Dos Santos in box has to run away from net to retrive ball and turn and scoops 15 yard shot from right into net over goalie Dino Perri who's off his line.

47 min...Astros Francisco Dos Santos GOAL...Dos Santos runs into box on left and chips over goalie from 15 yards into center of net.

49 min...Astros Gerardo Russo GOAL...Francisco Dos Santos on left side of box sends low cross across box and Russo kicks it in from 3 yards.

Final Score:.........Mississauga Olympians..............1.............North York Astros..............3..........

Attendance was about 50 on this miserable warm but wet evening with rain pouring down from about the 15th minute onward. This game had Olympians listed as the home team as they continue their season with all games on the road. Results were reversed from the game one month ago when Olympians won 3-0 on Monday June 23rd. This game was more like the playoff game last year when Astros surprised Olympians in the wildcard game on a cold rainy night.

Astros star of last year's playoff run, Guillermo Compton Hall was listed as a starter but Francisco Dos Santos was the player in his spot. Astros general manager said he picked up Dos Santos two weeks ago from Toronto Supra. He played for Supra last year and the A-League Toronto Lynx a few years ago. One game, two goals and an assist! Maybe he's found his team at last. Compton Hall did take his place at 69 minutes with the Astros having the game in hand.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

miserable warm but wet evening with rain pouring down from about the 15th minute onward

Yup, that's one of the reasons I decided not to head out to this one. But what a great result (makes me wish I went)! And what an interesting acquisition! I will wait to see what happens given Dos Santos' inability to succeed at his former clubs (he was also with Brampton for a while), but it sure was a great start for him and it will be interesting to see how he is utilized with Compton Hall. Season-starting strikers Russo and Flores have worked hard but haven't been able to score, apart from Russo's goal tonight (good for him, he deserved it) and I think one for Flores a few games back, so maybe Dos Santos can continue to spark the offence. And I don't think we had a Brazilian before, so add yet another nationality to the roster.

The CPSL report:

ASTROS BACK IN HUNT

New signing Francisco Dos Santos led North York Astros with two goals to an important 3-1 win over Mississauga Olympians in steady rain at Esther Shiner Stadium in North York on Monday.

The win put Astros back in contention for a bid at the Western Conference title [DJT: They had to say it, but I don't have such grand illusions!] and the fourth league loss of the season put Olympians in a more difficult cellar position in the same conference.

Danny Gallagher opened the scoring for the Olympians at the 20th minute mark, but most of the play after the opening goal came from the North York side which missed a number of good scoring opportunities until new striker Francisco Dos Santos struck the first of his two goals just before half-time.

Dos Santos scored again just two minutes after the interval and four minutes later Gerardo Russo beat Olympians’goalkeeper Dino Perri , making it 3-1 and all but assuring Astros of the win.

Astros jump to third position in the standings with a 3-4-2 WLT record for 11 points, just behind Hamilton Thunder and Brampton Hitmen, the leader and runner-up respectively.

Olympians have a 1-4-2 record for five points.

quote:And I don't think we had a Brazilian before, so add yet another nationality to the roster.

I hope next year you well also have an Israeli ;),

if I well make it to your team...

but intll next year Im just holding fingers for the astros...

nice win!!

Israel are on their way to...

Euro 2004!!!

quote:Originally posted by ziv2002

I hope next year you well also have an Israeli ;),

if I well make it to your team...

but intll next year Im just holding fingers for the astros...

nice win!!

Hey Ziv. I forgot to thank you for that story about Boris Krimus. I thought he is Israeli because that's what the North York magazine says. Obviously they made a mistake. Maybe there are other mistakes as well and the club doesn't have as many different ethnicities as I claimed (which would be 18 with the addition of Dos Santos), but surely they have very many.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

It seems that the Astros play most of their home games on Monday nights... why

Yeah, they are all on Mondays at 8:30 until September when they switch to Sundays at 4:30. Why Mondays? I don't know. Why 8:30? Because the reserve team plays at 6:45. 6:45 is too early and 8:30 is too late but there really isn't any other way to fit them both in.

Damn, I forgot that North York now play three in a row away and won't be back at home until August 18, so I probably won't be able to catch them until then. On the other hand, after this road trip the remaining 6 games will all be at home! Crazy scheduling.

Results from Friday, July 27

London 3 Hamilton 0

From the CPSL site:

Armed with newly appointed world renowned coach Ivan Markovic, Western Conference-leading Hamilton Thunder’s unbeaten string came to a crunching halt by a decisive 3-0 score in favour of London City at the Cove on Friday...

The abrupt end to an early season impressive performance that shot Thunder into its league-leading position, came just when the team needed a win to celebrate the coaching appointment of a man who took Metros-Croatia, Toronto’s entry in the North American Soccer League, to the North American championship in 1976—the last time a Toronto pro soccer team has won such a title. Markovic replaced the popular Duncan Wilde who resigned on July 19 amid an atmosphere of some controversy along with assistants Billy Steele and Ammar Awad.

The win for London City was unexpected as they went into Friday’s important match very much the underdogs despite shining in a 4-3 losing cause to Hamilton on July 13 when the City side took a 3-0 lead into the second half only to lose 4-3. Friday’s win earned full marks with the fans as goals came from Andrew Loague at 42 minutes, Tonino Commisso at 56 minutes and Ashley McMillan at the 87th minute mark.

London City improve to 3-4-2 WLT record for 11 points and that’s good for a third place in the Western Conference with a slightly superior goal average over North York Astros, also with 11 points.

Hamilton are still on top with a 4-1-3 record for 15 points.

Vaughan 4 Toronto Croatia 0

This match was broadcast live on Rogers Television in Toronto (in addition to Vaughan, where all Vaughan home games are broadcast, and possibly other areas), but I wasn't able to catch it.

From the CPSL site:

...while in the only other game played in the Canadian Professional Soccer League that night, Vaughan Sun Devils blanked the hapless Toronto Croatia, 4-0, at the Dufferin Clark ground just north of Toronto.

Vaughan Sun Devils looked impressive and much the best in their 4-0 shut out of the struggling Toronto Croatia at the Dufferin Clark ground in Vaughan.

Forward Joey Todaro led the way with two goals for the Sun Devils, at the 20th and 59th minutes, while Aundrea Rollins, at 52 minutes and Paul Sinisi, at 81 minutes, scored the others.

Sun Devils improve to 4-1-2 for 14 points and third position, while Croatia suffers its seventh league loss for a 2-7-0 record and six points.

Result of the Saturday July 26, 2003 CPSL game between Metro Lions and Mississauga Olympians played at Birchmount Stadium in Scarborough at 3:00pm.

19 seconds!...Olympians Darren Tilley running into Lions box is clipped by Lions defender O'Neil Brown and falls. Referee Isaac Raymond awards Olympians a Penalty kick.

1 min...Olympians Darren Tilley GOAL...Tilley blasts Penalty kick to low left side of net as goalie Gregory Drakes crumples to right side.

68 min...Lions Christopher Clarke is cut down by Olympians Ritchie Gayle when he tries to cut from left to center of box. Referee awards Penalty kick.

68 min...Lions Maxim Dorneval blasts Penalty kick off left post about 4 feet above ground and ball deflects wide so no rebound.

81 min...Olympians Darren Tilley GOAL...Olympians Anthony Whittney runs to right end line and his low cross is into Lions box from 20 yards, Tilley gets diving header about 5 yards from right box and sends it into low left side of net.

Final Score:.........Metro Lions.......0...........Mississauga Olympians.................2...........

Attendance was about 50 on this hot, humid, overcast day. It starts to rain during the player introductions but stopped just before the first half was over.

Lions had the most chances in the first half. Goalie Brian Bowes earned the shutout for the Olympians. He's played for both teams in the past and wasn't listed on today's program. I expected the Lions to come back until that second goal as they looked like they were outplaying the Olympians. Lions mistimed a lot of runs and were frequently called offside.

I was working on a theory that the Eastern division teams (except Durham Flames) were all better than the Western division who flounder around at the .500 mark or worse but this game postpones that idea. Some out-of-province poster to the soccer message boards I read recommends the CPSL be split into first and second divisions with relegation each year but this was starting to happen naturally.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

The other result from Saturday, July 26:

Ottawa 6 Laval 0

From the CPSL site:

Ottawa Wizards romped to a 6-0 win over Laval Dynamites at the OZ Stadium on Saturday to jump eight points clear in the Eastern Conference standings of the Canadian Professional Soccer League...

Ottawa’s 6-0 win was never in doubt from the first whistle, with Urbain Some opening the scoring after six minutes, Greg Jehs adding a second at the 34th minute mark and Kevin Nelson adding a third at 40 minutes for a 3-0 halftime score. Some scored his second two minutes after the interval, and Charles Gbeke scored two at 51 and 83 minutes.

The Wizards go eight points clear in the Eastern Conference with an 8-0-1 WLT record for 25 points. Les Dynamites have a 3-4-0 record for nine points to be fourth in the eastern standings.

Result from Sunday, July 27:

Brampton 3 St. Catharines 2

From the CPSL site:

Brampton Hitmen took over the top position of the Western Conference with a 3-2 win over St. Catharines Roma Wolves at Victoria Park in Brampton on Sunday night to wrap-up a weekend of action in the Canadian Professional Soccer League...

The Hitmen gained their victory despite playing short handed with the teams deadlocked at 2-2 most of the second half when Maximiliano Andrada picked up two yellow cards and was ejected before the interval.

Hugo Herrerda opened the scoring for Brampton at the 14th minute mark and St. Catharines tied the game 1-1 on a goal by Joe Carbonara at 20 minutes. St. Catharines went one up on a goal by Lucio Ianiero after 34 minutes and Herrerda tied the game 2-2 for Brampton at the 37th minute mark. Near the end of a well played second half, Kurt Mella scored the winner for Brampton after 87 minutes.

The win put the Hitmen in top spot in the western standings, they have a 4-1-3 WLT record for 15 points and have the slightest edge on goal average over Hamilton Thunder in second place, also with 15 points.

What a strange table in the Western Conference after Week 10: Brampton, London and North York are in the top four while St. Catharines, Mississauga and Toronto Croatia are the bottom three.

Standings after Week 10:

East

Team                   P   W-L-T  GF-GA  Pts 
Ottawa Wizards 9 8-0-1 34-8 25
Toronto Supra 7 5-0-2 17-10 17
Vaughan Sun Devils 7 4-1-2 18-8 14
Laval Dynamites 7 3-4-0 12-18 9
Metro Lions 7 1-4-2 6-11 5
Durham Flames 10 1-9-0 14-37 3[/code] West
[code]Team P W-L-T GF-GA Pts
Brampton Hitmen 8 4-1-3 17-11 15
Hamilton Thunder 8 4-1-3 17-12 15
London City 9 3-4-2 16-15 11
North York Astros 9 3-4-2 12-14 11
St. Catharines Wolves 8 3-4-1 10-11 10
Mississauga Olympians 8 2-4-2 9-10 8
Toronto Croatia 9 2-7-0 4-21 6

Details of the CPSL game of Sunday July 27, 2003 between Brampton Hitmen and St Catharines Roma Wolves played at Victoria Park Stadium in Brampton at 7:30pm.

14 min...Hitmen Hugo Herrera GOAL...Herrera rushes on left and cuts towards goal and sends 20 yard shot to low left right corner of net.

19 min...BH Luca Centurione tips 20 yard shot in own box with his foot and it deflects up and hit his arm. Referee Calin Pintea awards Wolves a Penalty kick.

20 min...Wolves Joe Carbonaro GOAL...Carbonaro blasts Penalty kick high to left side of net as goalie Roy Blanche slumps to right.

34 min...Wolves Lucio Ianiero GOAL...Ianiero in crowd of players gets 35 yard mid-air blast that flying goalie can't keep ball out of right side of net.

37 min...Hitmen Hugo Herrara GOAL...Herrara runs to ball in crowd of players to get 20 yard shot roller to left corner of net.

38 min...Hitmen Maximiliano Andrada RED card...Andrada picks up his 2nd Yellow card in three minutes for a sliding tackle on sideline in Wolves end. The 35 minute card was for argueing a call even through Wolves Adam Caruso earned a Yellow card then for a foul near the sideline.

87 min...Hitmen Kurt Mella GOAL...Hitmen Alvaro Yaques leads three men rush away and crosses to left for charging Mella to get 12 yard to center of net through goalie Claudio Perri's legs.

94 min...fair amount of injury time was justified in this rough game.

Final Score:......Brampton Hitmen...........3................St Catharines Roma Wolves...........2...........

Attendance was about 150 on this warm breezy evening.

I counted eight cards given out in this game half being for argueing calls. That proved almost fatal for the Hitmen when Luca Centurione followed up one he earned for a foolish argument just three minutes earlier. Before that I thought the Hitmen were controlling the game. I joked with Wolves goalie Claudio Perri about 'no gobbing' this game as that earned him a Red card here last year but his nemisis Milodrag Akmadzic is still injured for another two weeks he admitted to me after the game.

Playing for over half the game the game with one man short and winning should be a real character builder for the team. Hugo Herrera was an absolute last minute starter taking the place of Kurt Mella after the lineup sheets were turned in. Kurt Mella did get into the game as a 67 minute substitute and scored the winning goal. Wolves captain/coach Lucio Ianiero put himself in the game as an early sub and scored two minutes later.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Archived