Thunder Bay Chill v. Winnipeg SunDogs [R]

Valente scores winner as Chill sweeps 'Dogs

By David Trifunov - The Chronicle-Journal

June 22, 2003

Tony Valente’s timing was impeccable yesterday afternoon as he scored the winner in the Thunder Bay Chill’s 3-2 overtime win against the Winnipeg SunDogs.

It was Valente’s first goal of the season, a product of crafty creativity and old-fashioned hustle that sent the 267 fans at Fort William Stadium home happy. With forward Ron Badanai applying pressure on the defence deep in SunDogs territory, Valente cut off a ball at the pass and went in alone to score.

“I’m glad I was able to help make a contribution,” he said.

Valente, normally a starter in midfield or defence, came on in the extra period. It didn’t take long to contribute, with the winner coming in the 103rd minute. Valente said he’s always prepared to help the club when he’s needed.

“I’m pretty confident I can do that,” he said.

The Chill needed extra time, however, to outlast a Winnipeg team petitioning for a Premier Development League expansion franchise next season. The two teams tied 1-1 on Friday in their first exhibition match.

SunDogs’ coach Paul Clarke said despite the result, his team can compete “very well” in the PDL. He’s also “95 per cent confident” the club will gain PDL acceptance.

Clarke said the SunDogs could’ve garnered a better result here if it wasn’t for the officiating. It was the offside calls the caused him the most grief.

“Today we should’ve won,” he said, obviously disgusted. “Yesterday they deserved to win, today I thought we deserved to win.”

With most of the regular starters on the bench, the Chill led 2-1 at halftime thanks to goals by Nic Iachetta and Glen Camara. But Winnipeg tied the game in the 68th minute to eventually force the extra period.

Chill coach Tony Colistro said except for one mistake, he was pleased with the effort from his substitutes. But the club needs to improve on its goal scoring.

“We’ve got to work on our finishing, definitely,” he said. “Mental preparation is key. Actually our reserves did very well.”

The Chill (6-4-0) returns to regular season play on the weekend against the Sioux Falls SpitFire (4-6-0) and league leading Des Moines Menace (7-2-1).

FROST BYTES: Winnipeg is playing an eight-game exhibition schedule against PDL teams this season. . . . Thunder Bay is to travel to Winnipeg on July 8. . . . The SunDogs are a combination of club players from around Manitoba. . . . The Chill is to play Winnipeg Sons of Italy next Sunday at 1 p.m.

aka JTPenney

"We love peace. We use our might to make the world a more peaceful place." George W. Bush

Archived