CPSL Canada Open Cup Bracket?

Mimglow

I could try and make one tonight. Looks like I have a project. If any of you have any suggestions, please let me know!

As for the information needed, what are my best sources? CPSL.ca? This forum?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Mimglow :

I was thinking of two scenarios :

Canada Open Cup :

- open to 256 teams (Provincial League Winners Provincial Cup Winners, CPSL teams, Canadian collegiate and University teams, district league teams, Canadian USL teams like the Chill and Impact), Host teams(for the group of 4)

- single knockout rounds

- would use the 4 long weekends in the summer Vicotria Day Weekend, Canada Day Weekend, Civic Holiday and Labor Day Weekend

- Groupings of 4 teams (3 visiting teams, 1 host team)

- Localized play on Victoria Day Weekend, random draws(crossing provincial boundaries) for the other rounds, semifainal and final to be held at a neutral site over the Labor Day Weekend.

OR

Provincial Open Cups with Canaidan Championships.

Provincial Open Cups

- current format which only allows amateur teams to enter, would be changed to allow CPSL and Canadian USL teams to enter

- played over the long weekends in the summer

- single knockout rounds

- seeded with the district league teams entering first, the provincial league teams in the second round, the CPSL teams on Civic Holiday and the Canadian USL teams on the Labor Day Weekend

- the winners of the provincial open cups are crowned in September and would then play in the

Canadian Championship

- would be the 10 provincial cup winners

- played from September to late October or early November with the final played in Vicotria or Vancouver BC

- each team plays each other in a home and away series

- gives us a national league format without forcing A-League or CPSL teams to leave their leagues

- winner would qualify for the CONCACAF Champions Cup

What do you think?

Looking forward to your reply.

Help...

Is Kanata in the Open Cup actually the Ottawa Wizards? Because if they are not, I am having a hard time figuring out how the third round of this Open cup will work, since Wizards and Laval Dynamites are supposed to join at that time...anybody aware of how that will work?

Mimglow, Ottawa

quote:Originally posted by Impact supporter

Mimglow :

I was thinking of two scenarios :

Canada Open Cup :

- open to 256 teams (Provincial League Winners Provincial Cup Winners, CPSL teams, Canadian collegiate and University teams, district league teams, Canadian USL teams like the Chill and Impact), Host teams(for the group of 4)

- single knockout rounds

- would use the 4 long weekends in the summer Vicotria Day Weekend, Canada Day Weekend, Civic Holiday and Labor Day Weekend

- Groupings of 4 teams (3 visiting teams, 1 host team)

- Localized play on Victoria Day Weekend, random draws(crossing provincial boundaries) for the other rounds, semifainal and final to be held at a neutral site over the Labor Day Weekend.

OR

Provincial Open Cups with Canaidan Championships.

Provincial Open Cups

- current format which only allows amateur teams to enter, would be changed to allow CPSL and Canadian USL teams to enter

- played over the long weekends in the summer

- single knockout rounds

- seeded with the district league teams entering first, the provincial league teams in the second round, the CPSL teams on Civic Holiday and the Canadian USL teams on the Labor Day Weekend

- the winners of the provincial open cups are crowned in September and would then play in the

Canadian Championship

- would be the 10 provincial cup winners

- played from September to late October or early November with the final played in Vicotria or Vancouver BC

- each team plays each other in a home and away series

- gives us a national league format without forcing A-League or CPSL teams to leave their leagues

- winner would qualify for the CONCACAF Champions Cup

What do you think?

Looking forward to your reply.

I really like option 1, and the idea of participating in the CONCACAF Champion's Cup...

I understand the thinking behind having the Championship in Victoria every year, but I think we need to find a way around the weather problem. We can't have one city host the championship every year. Just not fair.

We need to find a way of making the entry fee less expensive, and the prize money greater, which means corporate sponsorship.

Mimglow, Ottawa

So Ottawa and Montreal enter the cup in the 3rd round, correct? But that means there are 5 pairings in the 3rd round...how does that work???

Mimglow, Ottawa

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

So Ottawa and Montreal enter the cup in the 3rd round, correct? But that means there are 5 pairings in the 3rd round...how does that work???

Sigma already explained that. Three of the third-round winners will advance directly to the semifinals while the other two third-round winners will play each other for the fourth semifinal spot (the CPSL is calling this a "wildcard").

What you should do is move each pairing in the first round next to the appropriate pairing in the second round and then draw lines connecting them --- ie. when a team comes out of a pairing in the first round then that pairing should be positioned next to the second-round pairing into which that team goes (whoa, confusing, but do you know what I mean?). But it is impossible to draw the whole bracket because the draw for the third round and beyond has not been made. So what you do is reposition all of the pairings as draws for future rounds are made. (I've done this kind of thing before for my own use.)

BTW, can we just call this the "CPSL Cup"? Using the name "Canada Open Cup" is confusing everyone. I clarified this by adding "CPSL" to the title of the thread (in fact this could have gone into the existing CPSL Cup thread, but that's okay).

Archived