TV for Confederations Cup

Mimglow

I'll fire off an email to Fox Sportsworld, and I suggest as many of you as possible do the same. You would think that they'd be jumping at the opportunity to show a World Class event like that, at a time where there will be little to chose from in their programming. I assume the cost is the major deterrant?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Here is the email I sent to them...

Subject: Confederations Cup on FSWC

Hello!

I was wondering if Fox Sportsworld Canada will be showing live matches from the Confederations Cup in France. I would assume that your channel would jump at the chance to feature such a World Class event, at at time where programming selection must be scant.

Thank you for your response to my query,

Théo Gauthier

Ottawa, Canada

If you'd like to send them an email, you can do so at feedback@foxsports.com

I will let you know if I get a response.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

If the US, with a team in the tournament, can't get English-language TV coverage, I highly doubt we'll get it in Canada. I would think the only chance is TV5, but I don't think they show France games on the Canadian channel.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

I assume the cost is the major deterrant?

I believe it is. From what I remember about 2001, the cost of broadcast rights for the Confederations Cup is particularly high. However, the survival of this tournament is threatened and FIFA may well have lowered its fees in an attempt to generate more interest (if not, I'd advise them to!).

Now this is a wild stab in the dark, but, after the final game of the Serie A season, Telelatino host and programming director Alf de Blasis hinted that viewers should stay alert for a "special announcement" regarding more "international soccer" coverage "in June and July" (I don't remember his exact words but he definitely said the ones in quotes). This coverage is definitely beyond Italian national team games because he had already mentioned those separately. It's possible that he meant that the announcement itself would come in June or July for some future event, but I don't think so. So what international events are being held in June and July? The Gold Cup and Confederations Cup are the only ones I can think of that Telelatino would be remotely interested in or that would warrant a "special announcement". The Gold Cup would make a lot of sense given the Central and South American teams involved and the high number of Telelatino viewers from these places. At first the Confederations Cup would seem odd given that really only Colombia would be of particular interest to Telelatino's viewers, but since it's already being carried by the Spanish networks in the US perhaps Telelatino could pick up those broadcasts?

Once again this is all just speculation on my part.

Archived