So, how have my "five Reds to watch in 2011" done?

embargoed, not done yet

Back on March 16, I posted a speculative piece about the five members of Toronto FC whose performances I was particularly interested in seeing during the 2011 season. They weren't going to be the best players on the squad, but for one reason or another, their presence on the roster intrigued me.

So with TFC's season now essentially (if unofficially) over, I'd like to take a look back at how those five players did in a Reds uniform. Methinks you're going to notice a bit of a trend.

Jacob Peterson: "Considering that he survived the (annual off-season roster purge), Aron Winter and company must see value in him."

Value indeed. Trade value, that is. Peterson was bundled with a couple of others in a trade with San Jose in July that netted Ryan Johnson.

Alan Gordon: Traded to San Jose. In the Ryan Johnson deal.

Nana Attakora: Traded to San Jose. In the Ryan Johnson deal.

Oscar Cordon: Traded to Sa... no wait, that ain't right. Traded to Vancouver? Nope, that was Keven Aleman. So where did Oscar go? After a promising preseason and four appearances early on in the MLS campaign -- leading some (myself included obviously) to believe he could catch on with the Reds in 2011 -- the 18-year-old Academy product hasn't seen a whiff of the senior side in months.

Instead, Ashtone Morgan and Matt Stinson have emerged as the two Academy graduates who look likeliest to challenge for a full-time spot with TFC on a go-forward basis.

Cordon has, instead, been chugging away with the reserve squad -- though if Twitter is to be believed (and really, why wouldn't it be?), he's currently busy getting his high school diploma ("So bored! I need to graduate this year" was his clarion call on Sept. 13).

Gianluca Zavarise: Massih Wassey? Err, no, Zavarise. Some injury troubles (as befall all athletes at this level) and some staying-with-the-big-club troubles confined the 25-year-old Canadian to 12 appearances with the senior side, none of which produced anything that I can immediately call to mind.

View full article