2016 Futnet World Championships

Toje

Canada will be playing in the World Championships starting November 18th in Brno.  I will try to make it on Friday for some of Canada's games.  

Futnet  isn't that popular, and I think the centre of the sport in Canada is in Montreal.  The sport began in Czechoslovakia in the 1920's, and as such, the Czech Republic and Slovakia usually play for 1st place. Canada finished 9th in the last World Championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_tennis

Promo video from a few years ago

Christian Prevost will be the team 'leader' for this World Championships.  He is a former Canadian 'beach' soccer international back in 2005.

I will be at the games on Friday with my son.  In doubles, Canada will play Mali and Ireland in the morning.  Around noon, in triples Canada will play Russia.  Later in the day in singles, Canada will be in tough against Slovakia.

Futnet is even less competitive than women's ice hockey.  The Czech Republic and Slovakia always dominate the singles, doubles and triples every year.

Canada finished 12th out of 12 teams in Division A singles.

In doubles, Canada also finished 12th out of 12 teams in Division A.

In triples, Canada finished 4th out of 7 teams in Division B.

Division A triples final between Slovakia and the Czech Republic http://www.tvcom.cz/Zapas/Sport-Nohejbal/Soutez-Futnet-World-Championships-Brno-2016/Cast-Mens-Triples/Pohlavi-Muzi/143450-Slovensko-Ceska-republika.htm

There is a massive gap between Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Canada.   For example, in Division A singles, Canada lost 11-1, and 11-1 vs Slovakia.  I think the match was over in 10 minutes.

It was still a fun day out, and at least I got to see them win a few matches.

Archived