7:30pm (Atlantic)

Monday, August 18, 2008.

Men's Premiership

Scotia vs Dartmouth United

Monday, August 25, 2008.

NS Championship Games

All Eastlink Premiership broadcasts can be watched live at this link: http://www.eastlink.ca/eltv/ELTV_WebCasting/

I probably will but do you know why, for example, the first men's game is on July 28th with less than a month to go in the season and even the women's games are barely a month before the season ends? And with the women's games there are a couple then they disappear for a month?

It's a genuine question. Is it a case of the resources involved or some other scheduling issue on Eastlink's end? Or even just Eastlink's level of interest?

They're playing 3 men's games over 2 weeks involving only Halifax based teams. It's not hard to imagine viewers taking away the message that only Halifax teams play in the league and that the season is two weeks long. I know any coverage is great but would it be possible to have coverage lasting all season with a men's/women's or women's/men's double-header every Monday night?

From- http://www.nssoccerleague.ca/news2.php?news_id=96075〈

"Tonight in The NSSL EastLink Premiership

2008-07-14

Tonight at 7:30 (Mainland North Common), the EastLink Premiership presents its first Showcase game of the season featuring 1st Place Dartmouth United Super City Windows and 2nd Place Halifax Dunbrack in Women's Division action.

DU has a 6 and 1 won/loss record while Dunbrack sports a 5 win, 2 loss, 1 draw record. Sarah Drake for DU leads the Division in scoring with 7 goals followed by team mate Courtney Conrad with 5. Kim Hardy with 3 goals and Tonya Huck with 2 lead the way for Dunbrack.

Come on out and enjoy the game. Game time 7:30 live and on Channel 10 EastLink Television

Admission Adults $3.00, Youth $1.00 Youth Players in Jersey - free.

Please Note: Due to the impending rain, there will be no refreshment service at tonight's game. However, we will feature Programs, Sound, Give-a-ways.

NSSL Admin"

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

From- http://www.nssoccerleague.ca/news2.php?news_id=96075〈

"Tonight in The NSSL EastLink Premiership

2008-07-14

Tonight at 7:30 (Mainland North Common), the EastLink Premiership presents its first Showcase game of the season featuring 1st Place Dartmouth United Super City Windows and 2nd Place Halifax Dunbrack in Women's Division action.

DU has a 6 and 1 won/loss record while Dunbrack sports a 5 win, 2 loss, 1 draw record. Sarah Drake for DU leads the Division in scoring with 7 goals followed by team mate Courtney Conrad with 5. Kim Hardy with 3 goals and Tonya Huck with 2 lead the way for Dunbrack.

Come on out and enjoy the game. Game time 7:30 live and on Channel 10 EastLink Television

Admission Adults $3.00, Youth $1.00 Youth Players in Jersey - free.

Please Note: Due to the impending rain, there will be no refreshment service at tonight's game. However, we will feature Programs, Sound, Give-a-ways.

NSSL Admin"

A repeat broadcast will be on Friday July 18, at:

7:00pm (Atlantic)

6:00pm (Eastern)

The game can be watched at this link- http://www.eastlink.ca/eltv/ELTV_WebCasting/

I watched tonight and thought that on the whole it was a very polished and professional job Eastlink did but there were a couple things that were sloppy and I'll mention at the risk of further antagonising the Nova Scotia soccer community.

They missed the opening kick off as they were still doing a goalkeeper profile. I've certainly seen that on CBC but still it's an important part of the old game isn't it.

The commentary wasn't bad, if a bit dry, but some of the terms and turns of phrase made me shake my head. The play-by-play guy repeatedly said "centres it" instead of "crosses". Ya wha? It's not hockey is it? Anyone who has ever watched more than 2 football games on TV should know the actual term for a pass in the air from the wings into the 18 yard box. "Zone", "Sidelines" "Out of bounds" and "the back" (which was used in place of by-line) all were used frequently too. The best bit was when they explained what offside was and got it wrong at the first attempt ("when a player is ahead of the defensive line"...bit more involved than that isn't it?) though this was later corrected. Actually, I take that back, the best bit was the following quote, "I know in some of the professional soccer leagues once a sub comes off they can't go back on". Wow. Really? Where did you hear that? Ridiculous.

Oh and finally, the pitch was shrouded in fog for virtually the whole game. Not that, that's Eastlink or the NSSL's fault but anyone in Nova Scotia (or other fog bound locales) knows that some places get it more than others. Given that virtually every game from the Mainland Common I've seen on TV has been foggy (a truly awful television experience) is it possible that some other venue might be better for TV broadcasts -- if indeed there is a fog issue specific to there and not other grounds? I know there are many other considerations to take into account but even the commentators were apologising for the weather. It's just a shame that seems to happen every time they do a show.

And another thing!

Anyway despite all that I'm glad they're showing the games and I hope a lot of people watch and become aware of the league.

Archived