Goldthwaite makes inroads in Toronto

georg

Goldthwaite makes inroads in Toronto

Dynamo sub becomes starter for expansion team

By BERNARDO FALLAS

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/4804166.html

Leaving the comfort of one of Major League Soccer's best locker rooms for expansion team Toronto FC now seems like a small price to pay for Kevin Goldthwaite.

The 24-year-old left back arrived to his new team in a trade that brought Richard Mulrooney to the Dynamo and immediately had an impact, having started since and playing a crucial role in Toronto's memorable 3-1 victory over the Chicago Fire this past weekend.

It was what Goldthwaite wanted, and what then-coach Dominic Kinnear perceived when he approached the defender about Toronto's interest.

"It was a very difficult decision to leave the Dynamo, but it came to a point where if I wanted to make this a career, playing professional soccer, I needed to get games.

"I came to the realization where I didn't think I was going to be able to play over Wade (Barrett, the Dynamo starter)."

He will face his former teammates Wednesday when the Dynamo visit a likely to be sold out BMO Field, which Goldthwaite describes as having the best atmosphere in MLS.

Playing his old team will feel like Dynamo practice for Goldthwaite. As a reserve, he always played the first team in preparation for a match, so he's confident about his knowledge of the opponent.

"I'll have an advantage compared to many other players in the league because I know what they're trying to do and know the little things about every one of the players," Goldthwaite said. "But at the same time I'll be facing the likes of Brian Mullan, who's like the fittest man alive, so my work's cut out for me for sure."

Daal lacks punch

It's safe to say Dutch forward Dyron Daal, whose trial with the Dynamo ended Monday, failed to impress coach Dominic Kinnear.

"He did OK," Kinnear said. "He got a little better with each day, so it was almost like a tease."

Kinnear said he plans to watch more of Daal on DVD before making a decision.

Money talks

After agreeing to a new contract and a hefty raise in the offseason, Taylor Twellman is off to a flying start in MLS.

The Revs forward leads the league in scoring (six goals) and was named Player of the Week after a two-goal performance in New England's 3-2 road victory over the Galaxy.

Worth a look

Both David Beckham and Cuauhtémoc Blanco could come to MLS as champions if their teams have their way.

After a 4-3 weekend win over Espanyol, Beckham's Real Madrid is tied for first place in the Spanish Liga with Barcelona but leads on head-to-head results with four games to go.

Meanwhile Blanco's Club América is in the Mexican league semis. Beckham will join the Galaxy and Blanco the Fire in July.

Local listing

Former Irish women's national team coach Noel Mulhall will be in Houston on June 11-15 to hold camp for boys and girls 5-18 years of age.

The camp cost is $80-$166 per youth (cost depends on age) for 15 hours of training that include four Dynamo tickets. Mulhall will hold camp at 2200 W. Bay Area Blvd.

Call 22 Stars Soccer Development at 832-748-1001 for more information.

bernardo.fallas@chron.com

Archived