EA World Cup 2006: Canada

sstackho

I've tried out EA's World Cup 2006 game for the PS2, and finally Canada is back in a soccer video game. It's been a while since I've seen them in one. I've been a Winning Eleven player for a while now, but I think Canada hasn't been in the recent FIFA series. WC06 has 127 countries in the game - even Vanuatu!

The gameplay is generally quite atrocious. I suppose you either fall into the Winning Eleven camp or the FIFA camp - and I'm definitely in the former. The ball feels like it's on a string, especially during passing. And why do they make the game so damn fast? Fouls are funny as the whistle appears to go as soon as you hit the foul button and before the foul animation actually occurs. Red cards occur too randomly.

But, the fun part is playing as Canada through the World Cup qualifying process - the way it should have happened. You don't get to destroy Belize, but you do get to start in the CONCACAf semi-final round with Honduras, Guatemala and Costa Rica.

The default starting line-up for Canada is as follows:

GK - L. Hirschfeld

RB - A. Serioux

RCB - G. Gervais

LCB - K. McKenna

LB - A. Jazic

RM - P. Stalteri

RCM - A. Hutchinson

LCM - D. De Rosario

LM - J. Brennan

RS - T. Radzinki

LS - O. Occean

Default subs:

G. Sutton

C. Pozniak

M. Bircham

J. De Guzman

P. Bernier

S. Grande

I. Hume

Default reserves:

P. Onstad

J. De Vos

M. Klukowski

N. Pizzolitto

M. Watson

T. Hughes

T. Menezes

D. Imhof

J. Simpson

J. Peters

M. Biello

P. Peschisolido

F. Brillant

C. Corazzin

That roster needed a bit of tweaking before my first match.

The likenesses of all the players are generally generic and poor, with the exception of Radzinski. The commentator announces at least several of the players' names.

I'll probably play through the World Cup process with Canada once, before heading back to greener soccer video gaming pastures.

Not every country. I read some complaints about them being light in the Asia department. But they are ecstatic in Vanuatu.

I was surprised when I picked up a FIFA version a few years back to discover Canada wasn't in the game. I mean, this game is produced in Vancouver, isn't it?? FIFA 98 is 100% responsible for the way I pronounce "Peschisolido"! (good to see him still in the game too...)

Yeah it's all done in Vancouver, but overseen by expats. If you play either of the FIFA Street games you'll see the word "Canada" spray painted on one of the walls behind a pitch in the first game, and the second game has Canadian flags randomly hanging in one of the parks you can edit.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Yeah it's all done in Vancouver, but overseen by expats. If you play either of the FIFA Street games you'll see the word "Canada" spray painted on one of the walls behind a pitch in the first game, and the second game has Canadian flags randomly hanging in one of the parks you can edit.

I noticed that in the first one on the German pitch

I'd say the game play is overall better than FIFA 2006. The ball moves a bit differently, it seems harder to score from crosses and computer game play is a bit less predictable. Also the players seem to be able to do more things on their own such as quick back heels and volleys when you're playing a one touch passing game. I'll point out that I'm biased as I've always been a FIFA fan and never played much of Winning Eleven, but I think being able to take Canada through our real qualifying process then into the World cup makes owning this worthwhile.

Archived