News: Samba at Stamford Beach

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Reuters

February 22, 2006

England names Chelsea internationals to Beach Football Team

England manager Sveninho has named Chelsea's English nationals Joe Cole, John Terry and Frank Lampard to the England beach football team, to play in the next FIFA sanctioned World Cup scheduled for Edmonton, Canada in summer 2006.

"I was encouraged by the efforts of the Chelsea players to adapt themselves to wet sand", said Sveninho, fresh back from Mardi Gras in Rio de Janeiro, where he coincided with his countryman and age peer Romario. "If they can convert the pitch into an authentic Brazilian style beach we will be sure to have a competitive edge come the next World Beach Cup". Chelsea manager José Mou has affirmed his committment to the English national program by having the field at his home stadium watered for full 8 hour shifts and filled in with fine sand, imitating the conditions left by tidal variations at the West Edmonton Mall, where the Cup will be held.

Mou is said to be on track for the national team job once Sveninho leaves the position to head up a deforestation project near his birth home in Salvador de Bahia.

Sources claim that Chelsea is considering remaning the stadium "Stamford Beach" as a sign of their committment to this little know yet vital event for the future of English football. Indeed Ronaldinho, the FIFA World Player, expressed his pleasure at the pitch conditions before this evenings crucial Champions League match between his unpronouncable team from Poland (the Spanish term for Catalonia) and the home side. "I couldn't have had a more welcoming sight, and in the very week of Carnival, which I always miss. I haven't felt so close to my homeland since John Terry's comments last week about kidnapping my mother as the only way to stop me from dribbling through their defence."

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=282491&idseccio_PK=803&h=

Archived