MISL Changes and Canadian Players: Brian Rowland

downtownboy

Noticed that the new expansion team California Cougars have drafted Canadian goalkeeper Brian Rowland from the Baltimore Blast roster. As the number 2 draft out of 16 it will auger well for a nice paying contract and benefits. Baltimore and their fans are beside themselves form all reports since Brian was into the community and was the starting keeper who finished 4th in the league in save percentages. The scuttlebutt was that the Blast tried to hide him but California who had their pick of 12-13 goalkeepers had done their homework[ i.e. watched films/talked to coaches]. I am sure there will be more maneuvers on this as the season comes close to opening up

Top MISL players have 12 month contracts that include their participation in camps[the clubs and their own] and are in the neighborhood of 90-100K inclusive. On each team the top 3-5 players would make 8-9 K per month for the 5-6 moth playing season[ plus their accomodation etc. There is a salary cap as well. It also appears in the U.S. that the sport is growing in leaps and bounds with 3 new teams minimally coming in in the next three years. Brian was contacted by several USL clubs however I believe his agent is looking for a European or U.K. trail and has advised him not to sign a contract since there would be complications re overseas. He does have a European[irish] passport and obviously that makes a difference.

Archived