Peruvian soccer, and a guy named Nolberto ;)

Silvio

If only Canadian players would be so vocal about poor WCQ prep...

Soccer-Solano attacks “shameful” Peruvian organisation

LIMA, Jan 26 (Reuters) - Peru captain Nolberto Solano has launched a scathing attack on his country’s football directors over their failure to arrange a friendly next month.

FIFA have set aside February 9 as a date for international friendlies but Peru do not have a game, leaving them without a warm-up for their next World Cup qualifier away to world champions Brazil at the end of March.

“The lack of friendly matches is shameful,” said Solano in a radio interview.

Solano, who plays for English premier league Aston Villa and who has already warned by the Peruvian Football Federation (FPF) about similar remarks earlier this month, was unrepentant.

“They’ve turned this into a soap opera,” he said.

“In our country, people get upset if you tell the truth. I haven’t offended anyone, I simply expressed my opinion in the hope of improving things. I always want the best for the national team.

“It’s not my problem if some people have been offended by what I’ve said.”

Peru, who last qualified for the World Cup finals in 1982, pulled themselves back into contention for a place in Germany after beating Chile 2-1 at home last November.

Peru are seventh in the 10-nation group with 13 points from 11 games, three points behind fourth-placed Ecuador. The top four teams qualify directly.

“The crisis in Peruvian football will not be solved if we qualify for the World Cup, because everyone has forgotten about the grass roots.

“It takes somebody who has played in our country to understand the poverty in which the younger levels are rooted.

He added: “We’re forgetting the most important things. And it’s not just because of a shortage of money.”

Archived