Canadians In Soccerdom: Tammy Crawford

leekoo

http://soccer.loop48.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1761

Nuke Soccer's first Canadian In Soccerdom is Tammy Crawford, the Director of Operations for the Florida-based W-League.

So how does a Canadian from Surrey, BC end up living in Florida and running North America's top women's soccer league?

The Tammy Crawford Short Story By Tammy Crawford

David Stadnyk, local businessman in Vancouver, was interested in starting a women’s soccer team and he was given my name. He called to meet with me to see if I would be interested in putting the team together. At the time, I was just a teacher on call and this gave me the flexibility to take on the project. We didn’t have any resources to hire anyone so I did everything associated with the start-up of the soccer team.

The following year David bought the Whitecaps men and that is when the Angels re-branded themselves to the Breakers. We were the Breakers for one year, but then re-branded again to the Whitecaps women. The league took over the Whitecaps half way through that year when David was not able to afford the team anymore. They kept me on because we were hosting the Championship that year. Following the Championship, the League Director moved back to Washington DC to be with her family. That is when I was offered this position.

The Tammy Crawford File

* born October 17, 1974 in Surrey British Columbia

* played soccer since the age of 4

* played youth soccer with the Sur-Del Girls Soccer Club (5 provincial cups, U-14 Nationals silver, U-16 Nationals gold)

* played in 19 National Championships

* played with BC All-stars (5 years)

* played with Langara College (Nationals silver medal)

* played with UBC (1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze, MVP CIAU National Championship, team captain)

* played with UBC Alumni Women’s Team

* played with Canadian National Team (1993-1994)

* played with Whitecaps Women until moving to Florida

* coached with UBC Soccer Schools

* coached as assistant with Langara College

* coached as assistant with BC U-16 Allstar team

* started the Vancouver Whitecaps - at that time the Angels, then the Breakers and now the Whitecaps

* worked as Director of Operations for the Whitecaps Women

* worked corporate sales for the Whitecaps Men

* works currently as the Director of W-League Operations

Nuke Note

The Vancouver Whitecaps Women are the 2004 W-League Champions.

Archived