Voyageurs Cup Match 10: Edmonton vs. Vancouver [R]

DJT

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Re-read my post above. Stop blaming the USL for wrongly reporting the attendance and blame your Aviators who obviously split the attendance wrongly between the men and the women.

I don't interpret his comments as blaming the USL. The way I read it, he's just questioning the "official" attendance numbers you see posted on the USL site (regardless of where those numbers come from).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I don't interpret his comments as blaming the USL. The way I read it, he's just questioning the "official" attendance numbers you see posted on the USL site (regardless of where those numbers come from).

Of course you read it that way. He edited out the part I was responding to!:)

Cucck and Gomes are two new Whitecaps signings who the club didn't feel it was neccessary to give its fans any notice that they were signed. Once again we learn after the game that these players are Whitecaps. Only in Vancouver does the soccer club keep it's fans so in the dark in such matters.

Cucck and Gomes are two new Whitecaps signings who the club didn't feel it was neccessary to give its fans any notice that they were signed. Once again we learn after the game that these players are Whitecaps. Only in Vancouver does the soccer club keep it's fans so in the dark in such matters.

"Cucck" is actually Tino Cucca.

Guest Jeffery S.

K-head, I'll ask you this here since maybe it is not thread worthy. Why do the Whitecaps always seem to start slow and then, around now, like now, get on a roll? I find it bewildering. Especially since the team can do a perfect pre-season without weather interferences, unlike say in Alberta or the east. Meaning the Caps should really be starting seasons well, and maybe even finishing them a bit worse. How does it figure?

This is a hard question to answer. In the past the Whitecaps/86ers started slow due to the fact that many players were coming off indoor seasons, therefore the team had not gelled. That is not the case now.

The only thing I can think of now is that the Caps are not starting off slow, only starting off the season later than most teams. I don't think the Whitecaps are plaing any better right now than they have earlier in the year. Only now they have the games to prove how good they are.

This season they are really benefitting from the fact that their opponents are really not putting up much opposition.

Guest Jeffery S.

This is a hard question to answer. In the past the Whitecaps/86ers started slow due to the fact that many players were coming off indoor seasons, therefore the team had not gelled. That is not the case now.

The only thing I can think of now is that the Caps are not starting off slow, only starting off the season later than most teams. I don't think the Whitecaps are plaing any better right now than they have earlier in the year. Only now they have the games to prove how good they are.

This season they are really benefitting from the fact that their opponents are really not putting up much opposition.

So you are saying that lately we've been better than our opponents? This is a very positive sign (insert stupid smiley). I am looking forward to winning the league this year, final vs. Montreal.

Seriously is it really true the Caps play less games at the start of the season, that doesn't make much sense either since we have the weather to play in January.

For some odd reason teams in the west start the seaon later than teams in the east. This season wasn't so bad the Whitecaps played their first game in what the league calls week 3. But in past seasons other teams had 3 or 4 games on us. The schedule this season was ridiculous what with Milwaukee (which plays indoor in the winter) not kicking off until week 6.

Yes the Whitecaps have been better than their opponents in the majority of their games (except when they decide to tank it in games against Calgary, Montreal and their first game against Portland). Teams are not getting many shots on net, which is why backup keeper Alex Marques is looking so good and has now relegated Mike Franksto the bench (shame that an injury cost Franks his starting position). Last night for instance Marques was only forced to make 3 saves for his 8th shutout of the season, which ranks him 3rd in the league in that category. Not bad for a keeper who has only played 13 games. He is also 4th in the league with a 0.76 GAA. In the previous game against Edmonton he was only forced to make 5 saves, the game before in Seattle 3 saves, and the night before that also against Seattle 3 saves. It's either solid defending or the opposition isn't bringing much.

Archived